Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Any plans for Kerio Connect Server for Windows 8.1 pro
  •  
Andrew T

Send a private message to this user
Does Kerio have any plans on supporting installation of Kerio Connect Server on Windows 8.1 Pro. Will be good information to know to plan for this new year.

Thanks in advance.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Windows 8 is a desktop system. Installing other server software such as Kerio Connect could violate EULA or other agreement you have with Microsoft. So we cannot say it is supported although you can install it there, technically. Legal consequences are on you then.
  •  
mrgenie

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Thu, 09 January 2014 11:19
Windows 8 is a desktop system. Installing other server software such as Kerio Connect could violate EULA or other agreement you have with Microsoft. So we cannot say it is supported although you can install it there, technically. Legal consequences are on you then.

Since windows 8.1 does offer it's own server features, i.e.
Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services,
Internet Information Services
MSMQ Server
SMB CIFS Services
Telnet Server
etc..

to name a bunch of default non-client software delivered with 8.1 Pro, I hardly doubt any EULA saying: "You're not allowed to tun server software on a pro licensed Windows" wouldn't violate Microsoft own distributions.

From this point of view I'd say you're pretty safe installing server software on a WIndows 8.1 Pro Licensed machine.
  •  
zebby

I would agree with mrgenie and doubt there are any legal implications in the EULA and it may well install and run perfectly well.

My concern would be if it went wrong in the future and you had to call Kerio for support.
You could be told that you have it on an unsupported platform and therefore they can't/won't help.
  •  
Kedar

mrgenie wrote on Thu, 09 January 2014 15:23

I hardly doubt any EULA saying: "You're not allowed to tun server software on a pro licensed Windows" wouldn't violate Microsoft own distributions.

I don't know details, so I tried to search EULA for Windows 8.1 and it says:
How can I use the software?
... Typically, this means you can install one copy of the software on a personal computer and then you can use the software on that computer. The software is not licensed to be used as server software or for commercial hosting ...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windowslicense/defaul t.aspx
  •  
mrgenie

Radek Sip (Kerio) wrote on Fri, 10 January 2014 10:15
mrgenie wrote on Thu, 09 January 2014 15:23

I hardly doubt any EULA saying: "You're not allowed to tun server software on a pro licensed Windows" wouldn't violate Microsoft own distributions.

I don't know details, so I tried to search EULA for Windows 8.1 and it says:
How can I use the software?
... Typically, this means you can install one copy of the software on a personal computer and then you can use the software on that computer. The software is not licensed to be used as server software or for commercial hosting ...

Yes, this EULA is well known and it's in the EULA for at least a decade already. I know this is legally grey fields we're talking about. I'm not sure how legislation is in the USA, but I do know in Europe courts already told MS on several occasions it must maintain neutrality. It is not allowed to offer it's own browser and make it tough for the End User to install software of competitors. Either Win is without any browser, or it should maintain neutrality with the browsers. This was argued for any feature on any operating system. OSX, WIndows, Linux, they all must maintain neutrality towards competitor companies.

Any court in Europe will follow the same argumentation when it comes to server features. As mentioned above, MS itself already distributes Win 8.1 Pro with server side software. If in it's EULA it is forbidden to run them, it shouldn't distribute them. Then it is clear for the end user. Since however MS is distributing it's own 'light weight' server features with Win 8.1 Pro, it implies you are allowed to run those features. From here the neutrality law in Europa gets in place, where I should be allowed to run server features from companies I choose and not being forced by MS to use theirs. Same arguing as with the Internet Explorer.

If I remember correct, in the US MS was allowed to force Internet Explorer upon people and thus upon installation you automatically had Internet Explorer installed.

So a US Court might argue completely different on the EULA. A US Court most likely will argue that MS has the right to forbid to run any software from any manufacturer on any operating System they have. I'm not sure if a court would go that far, but in the US the company distributing the operating system might have the right to restrict its usage.

If you are in the USA, I wouldn't run Kerio on Win 8.1 Pro. If you are in Europe, I wouldn't break my head over it and simply install it. MS won't want another multi billion EUR trial in Europe for those few people installing Kerio. As I'm very sure MS would loose such a trial in Europe.

It would be a car manufacturer telling the buyer:"But you are not allowed to transport specific goods or people unless they are from our company." I'm 100% sure no European court would allow any manufacturer such restrictions. The Owner of course has the right for such restrictions, not the manufacturer.

That's a huge difference between European and American courts.
  •  
Maerad

Installing Kerio Connect Server on a Windows 8.1 pro computer is a VERY bad idea.

No, not only because of the EULA or licensing. There is a reason for it ...

First of all - if you say Windows 8.1 pro, I guess you want to install it on consumer hardware. DON'T DO IT.

Get yourself a server - depending on the users (I guess you won't have too many), a small one would be fine. If you have like 10 Users, get a hp microserver like that one( http://geizhals.eu/hp-proliant-microserver-n54l-704941-421-a 878983.html), 4x NAS/RAID Ready SATA HDD like those: http://geizhals.eu/western-digital-wd-red-1tb-wd10efrx-a8073 24.html and 8 GB ECC RAM. Also you should get a remote card for that thing. All in all it costs you around 500 €, has quality hardware and fast enough to go as file + kerio server.

If you run a server for a company in a productive enviroment, you need at least a raid with your hdd's and ECC RAM (Error Correction, look it up in the wiki, it's important).

On that I would run VMWare ESXi as visualization host and kerio connect VMWare Ready Server as guest (linux based). If you don't like linux, get a windows server 2012 r2 essential licence (around 300€) with integrated calls for 75 devices or 50 users. With that you have a well running, small server. The above mentioned hardware could support around 25 users I guess, but then with a additional sata raid card like the hp 420p or whatever it's called, so the cpu dosn't need to do the work with a software raid.

If you don't use a raid card with battery and only softraid, you need ´to get an usv too, but those are not that expensive (Power failure can kill a raid array without power backup)

[Updated on: Wed, 15 January 2014 18:09]

Previous Topic: Problem with the Mail-Transfer between CommuniGate Pro6.0.6 and KMS 8.2.1
Next Topic: Mail queue full of spam with From address of <>
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 15:54:31 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00401 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.