Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Receiving duplicate emails
  •  
jessieleah

Send a private message to this user
A few people are receiving duplicate emails from outside senders. Not every email received is a duplicate. It seems random and for some subsiding (starting in the morning) and for another it just started this afternoon. We are at Kerio Connect 8.2.2 (2224)

I haven't found much on the issue in this forum. Seems random and doesn't last. This isn't the first time it has happened. Seems after an update usually or some other major change, but then after about 24 hours, stops.

Last night a new fire wall was installed. Could it be related to this?

Thanks!
  •  
clan

Did you look at the mail log? That should at least help finding out if duplication happens in Kerio or outside.
  •  
bayon

Hi Everyone,

I am helping Jess with this issue and wanted to post some more information. Today we looked at the log files and confirmed with Kerio that the emails are being delivered through the server, so Kerio is confident it's not a Kerio problem specifically.

Now we are back tracking trying to figure out where the problem is. From what I can tell, most people are receiving email just fine but there are a handful of people who keep getting certain emails over and over. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it and it is not every email that is being duplicated.

The only information I could find from Kerio regarding duplicates was people using POP3, and we are using Exchange/ActiveSync to connect.

We recently put in a new Meraki MX80 to replace a SonicWall and I have no doubt it is part of the puzzle. They are also using a spam filter service before the email hits our servers, so we are trying to get in touch with those people to see if it's playing a part in this too.

I personally am much more familiar with cloud hosted email solutions, so this type of troubleshooting is not my strong point. Based on the information above, any suggestions from those here on the board?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Usual scenario for problem like this is that the firewall does some spam checks which take a long time. Sending server thinks there was a problem and tries to re-send the message after a while but first message is delivered by firewall in meantime.
You should focus on Meraki logs and configuration.
  •  
bayon

Thank you for your help, I also agree that it is something to do with the Meraki and we also have the spam filter people looking into it as well.

Hopefully we'll have a fix soon and we'll be sure to share it with others.
  •  
chrism

We have seen this exact issue also.

Also running Kerio, a particular email would decide to keep sending over and over again, 2 -4 times an hour in some cases.
Sometimes this could go on go for a week.
Strangely, we are also using a Meraki Firewall.
This was affecting a client of ours last year in the summer, calls to Meraki support, and we did a packet capture. They seemed to suggest that is was some sort of incompatibility with SSL and something was dropping the connection in the firewall, the Kerio server was happy it had received the message, but the sender server was not and kept resending.
I ended editing something in the Kerio Mailserver.cfg about tls/ssl settings, can't remember what it was exactly now, but there stopped immediately.
  •  
chrism

We have seen this exact issue also.

Also running Kerio, a particular email would decide to keep sending over and over again, 2 -4 times an hour in some cases.
Sometimes this could go on go for a week.
Strangely, we are also using a Meraki Firewall.
This was affecting a client of ours last year in the summer, calls to Meraki support, and we did a packet capture. They seemed to suggest that is was some sort of incompatibility with SSL and something was dropping the connection in the firewall, the Kerio server was happy it had received the message, but the sender server was not and kept resending.
I ended editing something in the Kerio Mailserver.cfg about tls/ssl settings, can't remember what it was exactly now, but there stopped immediately.
  •  
bayon

Thanks for the information chrism. If there is any way you can remember what you did to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. We are kicking tires here with all parties and no resolution seems to be in place.
  •  
chrism

Hi, Found it.

Need to edit the DisableRC4SHA line in the Mailserevr.cfg

Instructions below on this link

http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect/server-configurati on/security/pci-dss-compliance-1301.html
  •  
bayon

Wow, thank you so much. I'm going to go over this with Kerio support to make sure I don't make matters worse. I'll report back if it helps!
  •  
chrism

Hi,

Apparently it also makes it more secure according to the Kerio page linked.

I don't think it is a direct fix for it, but seems to get round the issue anyway.

Let me know if it helps
  •  
bayon

Made the change around 11:45 today and we are still waiting to see if it is fixed. I think a few people got duplicates but it might just be lingering effects. Everyone's last duplicate was around 12 or 12:30, so we are still unsure if it fixed it completely but it does appear it has slowed down.

We are also working with the spam company to see if they notice anything on their end. Hopefully good news later today.
  •  
chrism

yes, each message came in one more time then it stopped with us.
  •  
chrism

Also, did you restart the kerio server after making the change?

[Updated on: Tue, 14 January 2014 21:29]

bayon

Yes I did. I have actually never edited the config file, so I called into Kerio to get some assistance and they instructed me to turn off the server first, which I did. Just to make sure I edited the file properly, I logged back in and verified everything.

It's good to know that you received each message one more time, definitely gives us hope. I think we'll know more here in a few hours.

If this does the trick, I owe you a beer somehow, somewhere, someday Smile
Previous Topic: Exception raised: code=1000, message=Failed to update user XXX, internal database error
Next Topic: Apple Hang
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 00:00:27 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00491 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.