Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect appliance on XenServer 6.2 (XenServer tools installation)
  •  
CITNL

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I'm trying to get Kerio Connect appliance running on XenServer 6.2.

I tried it using the OVF but that fails after the import wizzard with his message:
Jan 27, 2014 8:38:47 AM Error: Starting VM 'Kerio Connect' - The bootloader for this VM returned an error -- did the VM installation succeed? INVALID_SOURCE
Unable to access a required file in the specified repository: htt<remove this> p://download.kerio.com/dwn/connect/connect-8.2.2-2224/kerio- connect-appliance-8.2.2-2224-vmware.ovf/dists/wheezy/main/in staller-amd64/current/images/netboot/xen/vmlinuz.

So, I downloaded the VMX image and imported it. It boots fine. I removed the vmware tools (
apt-get remove open-vm-tools) and installed the XenServer tools (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt; /mnt/Linux/install.sh; y; shutdown -r now).

Unfortunately the XenCenter keeps showing XenServer tools not installed.

Anyone have any idea?

PS. is this the best way to install it on XenServer or should I use the OVF, but how to make that one work?

#
  •  
Mark Price (Kerio)

Hi CITNL and welcome to the Forums!

I'm afraid we don't support Xenserver, all our supported platforms are list here -

http://www.kerio.com/connect/requirements

I hope this helps.

Mark Price
Kerio technical support.

Log Support Incidents here: http://www.kerio.com/support
Also, please use our KB: http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
McIrish

I had also tried that a while back and did not have success. Its too bad. xenserver is a great platform. Hopefully support will come someday for it.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

You can install a clean operating system into Xen and then normal Kerio Connect installation package. However, we do not test such scenario so potential problems related to Xen virtualization cannot be solved by our technical support.
  •  
McIrish

pavel, that's exactly what I do right now. We have KC running on a Windows 2008 R2 x64 VM in Xenserver. Works just fine. Haven't had any issues with it in over two years.
  •  
CITNL

I got it working!

Now I have all this extra knowlage I do wonder why Kerio makes this available? I assumed because it's specially build for Kerio Connect it would be the best of the best...

Now I know that:
- it's based on an older version of Debian
- its 32 bit!!!
- lot's of errors during boot wich I think have nothing to do with Xen

Anyway I fixed it all... I wrote a idiot proof installation guide in Dutch. I will copy the commands here with minimal commenting in English.

Install Kerio Connect appliance edition 8.2.2 on XenServer 6.2

Remove VMware tools:
apt-get remove open-vm-tools
Y
rm -r /etc/modprobe.d/open-vm-tools.conf
rm -r /etc/init.d/open-vm-tools
rm -r /var/lib/update-rc.d/open-vm-tools
rm -r /var/lib/dkms/open-vm-tools
rm -r /etc/rc2.d/S01open-vm-tools
rm -r /etc/rc3.d/S01open-vm-tools
rm -r /etc/rc4.d/S01open-vm-tools
rm -r /etc/rc5.d/S01open-vm-tools
rm -r /etc/rc0.d/K07open-vm-tools
rm -r /etc/rc1.d/K07open-vm-tools
rm -r /etc/rc6.d/K07open-vm-tools

Mount XenServer tools via XenCenter and install:
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
dpkg --install /mnt/Linux/xe-guest-utilities_6.2.0-1133_i386.deb
dpkg --install /mnt/Linux/debian-lenny/linux-image-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem_2.6.32-43.xs6.2.0.298_i386.deb
shutdown -r now

Update Debian:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
Y
shutdown -r now

Remove error's during boot:
echo blacklist i2c_piix4 | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo blacklist snd_pcsp | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Add an extra disk via XenCenter for the store and make it available:
shutdown - h now
BOOT IT UP AGAIN
fdisk /dev/xvde
n > p > 1 > Enter > Enter > w
mkfs /dev/xvde1 -t ext4
mkdir /store
chmod 777 /store/
mount /dev/xvde1 /store/
vi /etc/fstab
REMOVE THE /PROC line to remove another boot error!
/dev/xvde1 /store ext4 defaults 0 0
ESC
:x!

I would like to know from Kerio why there is this 'crappy' virtual appliance edition and what would be their advice to build a Kerio Connect server on Xen (or any other Hypervisor) for a large customer. Should I use this or use a Linux distro with a sepperate Kerio Connect installation (Windows aint free thats why we use Linux sometimes). But then it raises the question again, why they provide this virtual appliance?

#
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Frankly, I don't understand your exercise. Based on all the work you need to do to hack vmware image to run under Xen, it is much, MUCH, easier to install clean Linux in Xen and normal Kerio Connect.

But it raises the question again, why are you trying to "bend" Vmware virtual appliance to run under Xen? Kerio VA for VMware is intended for VMware product where you can install it with a single click. It is not intended to be modified for every existing virtualization platform, which is not tested or supported by Kerio, by the way.
  •  
CITNL

The reason was that I assumed that your installation for the appliance is highly optimised for Kerio Connect. I guess it isen't...

#
Previous Topic: Right PTR record
Next Topic: Resource Free/Busy information
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Aug 19 03:45:38 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00448 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.