Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Update in Ubuntu 12.04 not possible - Syntax Error?
  •  
Lutzministrator

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

this is my first post, I tried searching for an answer but didn't find any:

I tried updating Kerio Connect which is currently installed on a Ubuntu 12.04 Server.
Following Kerio's how-to, I followed the recommended steps.
1) I downloaded the kerio-connect.deb-file (into my home-folder)
2) I tried to install the update via 'sudo dpkg i kerio-connect-linux-64bit.deb' but then I get the error message: "dpkg: Fehler: eine Aktions-Option wird benötigt" which means dpkg requires (another) parameter.

Why isn't -i enough? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
  •  
Vicky

Hi Lutzinistrator,

When installing the 64 bit version of Kerio Connect on Ubuntu you need to install the 32 bit dependencies as the Anti-Virus in Connect is still 32 bit. Try installing the 32 bit dependencies on Ubuntu.

I hope this helps,
Vicky
  •  
clan

Your error message means need an action option. If you really did
'sudo dpkg i kerio-connect-linux-64bit.deb'
you should change 'i' to '-i'.

•  
Lutzministrator

I'm sorry, don't how that got messed up..

I DID try it with "-i", so that's why I basically asked. In my opinion "-i" should be sufficient as a parameter...
  •  
clan

I tried only with 'i' before answering and got the same error message as you, that's why I even mentioned. '-i' is the action option mentioned in the message.

So what is the error message when trying 'dpkg -i ...'? We got missing dependencies to sysstat when upgrading on Ubuntu 32-Bit, which was easily resolved.
  •  
Lutzministrator

OK, so if I already installed Kerio Connect 64 bit, you still recommend installing the 32 bit dependencies Update - //download.kerio.com/dwn/kerio-connect-linux.deb ?

I'm not very familiar with Ubuntu, but this seems a bit strange to me :/
  •  
clan

I wrote, that using 'i' instead of '-i' as command for dpkg produces the error message you mentioned, while '-i' does not, at least on any Ubuntu/Debian system I have seen. It would make it easier to help, if you posted the error you get when using 'dpkg -i'.
I also wrote, that installing the 32-Bit version of 8.2.2. had a missing dependency to sysstat, and it seems likely that the 64-bit version requires the package as well.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 February 2014 10:11]

•  
Lutzministrator

Hi clan,

thanks for your help. My last post was actually regarding Vicky's proposition, though I didn't make that very clear.

As I mentioned in my first post I did download the Kerio Connect 64bit Ubuntu deb (//download.kerio.com/dwn/kerio-connect-linux-64bit.deb)
Then I stopped Kerio Connect.
And then I tried to install the deb with this commando "sudo dpkg i package_name.deb"
I have a german version of Ubuntu, so the error message I got was:

"dpkg: Fehler: eine Aktions-Option wird benötigt""
which roughly translated means: "dpkg: error: need an action option"

I used the parameter "-i"... Don't know why I missed the dash in my post, but of course I typed it when using the command (actually I copied and pasted the command from //kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect-de-/wie-f%C3%BChre-ich- ein-update-bei-kerio-connect-durch-wenn-eine-neue-version-er h%C3%A4ltlich-ist-1185.html with replacing the package name)

•  
clan

The dependencies Vicky mentioned are most likely the libraries provided by the ia32-libs package. The libraries are needed by 32-bit programs running on 64-bit Linux. You can install them using 'apt-get install ia32-libs'. Any missing dependency should also be listed in the error message of dpkg, so if it still fails, copy and paste the command and complete error message, even if it is in German.
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

Lutzministrator wrote on Tue, 04 February 2014 10:29
I used the parameter "-i"... Don't know why I missed the dash in my post, but of course I typed it when using the command (actually I copied and pasted the command from //kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect-de-/wie-f%C3%BChre-ich- ein-update-bei-kerio-connect-durch-wenn-eine-neue-version-er h%C3%A4ltlich-ist-1185.html with replacing the package name)

That was the problem. On that page the character is not "-" (0x2d Hyphen-minus), but different characted which looks exactly the same.
Copy&paste would not work. If you type "-i" manually, it would work.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
Lutzministrator

Oh, I would never have thought of that!

Changing the "dash" did the trick. I just ran the update successfully...

Thanks a lot!
Previous Topic: Changing Open Directory Master
Next Topic: IM (Adium) custom status
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 14:53:49 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00971 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.