Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Maximum folder size
  •  
tomislav.parcina

Send a private message to this user
What is the maximum folder size that I should allow on our mail server? Right now we have users that have folders big as 1.8 GB. If this is too big, and we need to create subfolders, what would be the optimal size of every subfolder?

Thank you in advance on your time and reply.

Best regards.

--
Tomislav Parčina
  •  
Neil Whiteside (Kerio)

Hello Tomislav,

Big is never good in terms of mailbox sizes! But we are more concerned that you do not exceed 10,000 items per folder - that will affect performance.

That goes for folders and subfolders.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Neil.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Looking for technical support? http://www.kerio.com/support
  •  
tomislav.parcina

Neil Whiteside (Kerio) wrote on Sat, 08 February 2014 16:34
Hello Tomislav,

Big is never good in terms of mailbox sizes! But we are more concerned that you do not exceed 10,000 items per folder - that will affect performance.

That goes for folders and subfolders.

Hi Neil,

thank you for your reply.

I know that big is no good, but what is big for today computers? Where should I draw the line?

Those 10,000 items, what exactly does this mean?
- Inbox folder, with all it's subfolders shouldn't contain more than 10,000 items or,
- every (sub)folder on it's own shouldn't contain more than 10,000 items?

Thank you in advance on your reply.

Best regards and have a nice day.

--
Tomislav Parčina
  •  
Vicky

Hi Tomislav,

We recommend no more than 10,000 items per folder. So this would only be subject to the actual folder not the folder and all of its sub folders combind.

The 10,000 limit is for each folder the user has in their mailbox so every root folder or sub folder should not have more than 10,000 items really.

I hope this helps and makes things a little clearer.

All the best,
Vicky
  •  
tomislav.parcina

Vicky Cinelli (Kerio) wrote on Mon, 10 February 2014 12:12
Hi Tomislav,

We recommend no more than 10,000 items per folder. So this would only be subject to the actual folder not the folder and all of its sub folders combind.

The 10,000 limit is for each folder the user has in their mailbox so every root folder or sub folder should not have more than 10,000 items really.

I hope this helps and makes things a little clearer.

All the best,
Vicky

Hi Vicky,

thank you for your reply.

Yes, you have made things clearer.

Can you please comment the size of directory in therm of amount of data. How much data is too much? I mean, if I have directory with less than 5,000 items, how much data will be acceptable? 1 GB, 5 GB, 10 GB, 20 GB, 50 GB or more? Where should i draw the line, or I don't need to worry about the size of directory if it has less than 10,000 items?

Thank you in advance on your reply.

Best regards.

--
Tomislav Parčina
  •  
Vicky

Hi Tomislav,

In regards to size in MB/GB we do not really have a guide. I personally would say anything above 20GB would be worth going through and cleaning up as in my opinion is towards the larger size of a mailbox.

But generally it really does come down to the item count as our file structure is a flat file structure and not a database, so if Kerio needs to re-index a folder the lower the item count the quicker it can re-index.

I hope this helps,
Vicky
  •  
tomislav.parcina

Hi Vicky,

thank you for your fast reply.

You have made things perfectly clear for me.

Best regards and have a nice day.

--
Tomislav Parčina
  •  
jcooper

Sorry to glob on to another (and few month old) post. I just want to make sure I read this right.

The per-user quota setting allows me to set it by size and/or quantity. This thread leads me to believe this is PER FOLDER, not a total for the account. Is this the case?

I have been using quotas for years (currently on 7.4.3) and have always thought the limit was on the user's mailbox, which includes inbox, subfolders, sent items, etc.

Can someone verify exactly what rules the quota rules enforce? Per account or per folder? If it's per folder, then all a user has to do is, theoretically, make a bunch of subfolders and end up with a 200GB mailbox!

Thanks,

Jeff
  •  
Vicky

Hi Jeff,

When you set a user quota in the Kerio Connect We Admin the quota is for the entire account of the user. So Kerio will calculate the size of each folder and use the total size of the Mailbox to enforce the quota limit.

The only folder that is the exception is the '#Deleted' folder which is the deleted items retention folder (which is a feature you have to enable within the Web Admin).

All the best,
Vicky
  •  
jcooper

What I thought. Just needed to double-check. Thanks!
Previous Topic: problems with CBL
Next Topic: Outlook reply using alias not primary account
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 16:48:54 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00521 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.