Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Operating Systems (Windows Server vs CentOS)
  •  
nhoague

Send a private message to this user
Which do you like and why? I am at the point of virtualizing all my servers into a hyperv environment and debating whether to continue to run Linux ... or go Windows Server 2K12 R2?

Thanks!
  •  
germanr

Hi Nick,
. We are using Windows 2012 virtualization and Connect running under Windows 2012.

Reasons: Easy replication of machines in real time for failover that is included in hyper-V, Integration services built-in in windows platforms, better dynamic memory management than Linux virtual machines. (on Centos at least I donĀ“t feel that the Hypervisor allocates dynamic memory on demand as good as Windows Server).

We use 2012 Datacenter edition that provides unlimited virtual Windows Server licensed instances that is quite cost effective when running a lot of virtual servers.

Cheap virtual machine backup tools also.

Best regards

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
nhoague

Alright, some very good points Smile

Thanks!
  •  
My IT Indy

We use CentOS 6.5 with Proxmox as the host. We can do dynamic memory allocation, disk migration between SANs, etc. What's nice is Proxmox is web-based and cross platform for management.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
nhoague

Thats funny, I currently am on Proxmox. We have 8 hosts, and quite frankly PM is failing in the storage allocation arena. We have a Nimble storage array via iSCSI and I am very limited on scalability.

Good to hear someone else has PM. I like it alot for the management, but I need something more enterprise ready.

How many VM's are you running in it? I'm up to 56 now. (Obviously not all KC servers Smile )
  •  
My IT Indy

We use NFS for storage and have had no problems whatsoever. Our hosts are on a 2U 4 node Supermicro box which has been awesome for performance and space utilization.

We currently have about 35 VM's on it, not all of which are KC VM's and have had no performance problems.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
nhoague

Nice! Gotta love Supermicro, thats ALL we run!
  •  
My IT Indy

We have 9U worth of SuperMicro, a 4U SAN, a 2U SAN, a 2U 4 node host, and a 1U Twin for redundant firewall.

Our only issue is KC Backups and how to manage HUNDREDS of 2GB Zip files.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
nhoague

I stopped doing Kerio backups a long time ago. Its great if your install is small. We rely on our SAN snapshots now. Every hour, every day, 14 day s worth, pretty nice! Smile
  •  
My IT Indy

We've been debating that route, we currently do Kerio backups over the network to a Synology NAS and it works as long as we stagger the full backups.

Have you ever recovered a mailbox using your method? That's what I'm worried about.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
BudDurland

We are using Windows 2008 hosted on VMWare. We do our backups to a Synology NAS using RoboCopy every 4 hours.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
nhoague

@HoosierMac: We have had to restore full mailboxes using the snapshot method. Its rather simple, in our SAN we can clone a snapshot, then mount it and boot it (obviously with the NIC disabled until we change the IP) then grab the data you need and rsync it to the production server.

Thanks all for your answers!
  •  
My IT Indy

@nhoague thanks for the information. That's good to know it's possible by other means. Are you running Gb links in your DC? We've been contemplating upgrading to 10Gbe for our SAN's. That should speed everything up nicely for backups.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
nhoague

We are currently are 1Gb. Our SAN has the ability to upgrade to 10bB, but the right switches are uber $$$!

We used to run a dual server model with DRBD and had special Intel 10Gb NICs for the heartbeat and data transfer and it was slick. We could move a ton of data super fast. But, and I'm a little grey here, woudlnt 10Gb exceed the write times of even some of the fastest RAID setups? Even a RAID 1 with a nice card is approx 6 Gb?

Our SAN utilizes SSD's for inbound caching, I wonder how fast that is ...
Previous Topic: Email receive sent to wrong recipient
Next Topic: Reason: 554 Certificate rejected over TLS.
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Aug 21 08:32:31 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00583 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.