Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mailstorage (hardware) for Apple, OSX?
  •  
giobbi

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

Just wondering, what storage are you guys using, who still are on Apple hardware? Mini with Pegasus? Mini with NAS? How many users? How big quota per user?

I'm looking for a fast storage for aprox 300 users. Either i go with Mini with X-storage or emigrate to Linux. What do you think?

Would love to hear you toughts.

thx
  •  
sfpete

Mini with Promise Pegasus in RAID 10 format is working very well on numerous servers for us.

•  
fishtech

Mini with Pegasus Raid 10 for us, in-house.

But we have only 45 seats, no quotas.

ft.
  •  
My IT Indy

Go linux for 300 users. Sorry, I'm a huge Mac fan but 300 users will die a horrible death on Apple gear.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
giobbi

Thx for the tip, i was hoping for a good OSX solution but i already leaning towards Linux..
  •  
fishtech

Quote:
300 users will die a horrible death on Apple gear.

Please can you provide a little more info.

What is the bottleneck/restriction of Mac OS with 300 users? Why can Linux handle 300 users better?

Thanks,

ft.
  •  
My IT Indy

HFS+ sucks for tons of small files. It doesn't perform well, and starting/stopping the Kerio server process can and will corrupt your index.fld files on a regular basis.

fishtech wrote on Fri, 21 February 2014 09:53
Quote:
300 users will die a horrible death on Apple gear.

Please can you provide a little more info.

What is the bottleneck/restriction of Mac OS with 300 users? Why can Linux handle 300 users better?

Thanks,

ft.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
fishtech

I know HFS+ implementation within Linux can cause such problems.

Do you have specific info on problems with HFS+ on Mac OS X, please?

Many thanks,

ft.
  •  
sfpete

Hoosiermac... I know first hand of the issues with larger Kerio then Mailserver 7.x installations back then.

Since 8.x with auto-index rebuilding, and with fast RAID 10... have you actually witnessed such issues?

It's much better now.

•  
My IT Indy

fishtech wrote on Fri, 21 February 2014 10:34
I know HFS+ implementation within Linux can cause such problems.

Do you have specific info on problems with HFS+ on Mac OS X, please?

Many thanks,

ft.

Did you read my post?

-
My IT Indy
  •  
My IT Indy

Honestly nothing larger than 60 users. We just use Linux and be done with it. CentOS is rock solid and if it works we don't mess with it.

sfpete wrote on Fri, 21 February 2014 11:42
Hoosiermac... I know first hand of the issues with larger Kerio then Mailserver 7.x installations back then.

Since 8.x with auto-index rebuilding, and with fast RAID 10... have you actually witnessed such issues?

It's much better now.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
giobbi

I can confirm that index-files gets corrupt every restart on our server. I don't have RAID10 (what hareware and disk and server should i choose?), only fastes SAS disks on the planet.
  •  
andrewrob

Just to say I am happily running 300 users on mac mini with Pegasus running Raid 6.
  •  
giobbi

Adrewrob; What quota does the users have, I mean how big is the storage in total, GB and file count? Are you using 5900-rpm-drives?

thx
andrewrob

We currently have about 750GB of data but the capacity is 2TB. The hard drive in the mini is SS but the Pegasus drives are 7200. Not sure how many files we have. Not sure how many files, how would I tell that?
Previous Topic: Mail filtering rules for Sent Items
Next Topic: User Account HiJacked
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 00:02:58 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00472 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.