Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Fax reliability
  •  
nhoague

Send a private message to this user
Hey guys ... please dont patronize me! I know Faxing over IP isn't very reliable, however I have been having some VERY sub par success with faxing at all!

In the logs I can Operator routinely says fax call dropped, or my users get an email saying fax was unsuccessful. They are sending faxes from MyPhone and it sometimes may take 5 tries before they get fax successful message.

Furthermore, we are testing the Cisco SPA122 and SPA8000 ATA adapters for faxing from a legacy fax machine.

Is there anything you can help me with as far as increasing fax reliability?

I am also doing this over SIP. Are there any SIP providers that are better than others specifically for faxing and T.38? I currently use NexVortex for SIP and am very happy with them just for voice. If I need to use a different one for faxing then I will.

Thanks!
  •  
ICT and Me

If possible set baud rate of the fax system to 9600 only.
Because otherwise it is too fast.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 February 2014 09:55]

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Nick, try to capture the communication to see if the fax is sent in T.38. If it is not, you at least need to use the G.711 codec on the external interface.

The usual latency of a VoIP call is a problem for fax, so use 9600 bauds on HW fax machines, as Carlo proposed above.
  •  
nhoague

Thanks for the advice guys, we'll look into the baud rate!

Any idea why a fax from MyPhone could fail? Is there a way to affect baud rate in Operator?
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi Nick,

The reason for the failures when faxing from MyPhone could be that T.38 is not used. And maybe even some higher-compression codec is used which is not good for fax. That's why I recommended capturing the traffic to see what is really going on.

Vladimir
Previous Topic: Dialing a 7 digit number
Next Topic: iOS7 & Microphone Security with Softphone App
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Aug 20 00:20:40 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00447 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.