Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Backup crashes server (Backup fills boot drive and causes server to crash.)
  •  
blturner

Send a private message to this user
When Kerio Connect backup does not find the drive it's looking for a folder might get made at /Volumes For example /Volumes/backupHD
When the drive then tries to mount it gets moved to /Volumes/backupHD 1 The backups keep going to the folder that got created. That folder is always on the boot drive.
The boot drive fills up and then the server goes down. Or worse, it stays up and provides slow response while it corrupts dozens of random files, including the fresh backups.

This old thread http://forums.kerio.com/t/19141// shows that the problem has been around for a while. I had Kerio 8.2.2 on a Mac server running 10.6.8 but there is a report of another OS having the same problem. This happened a few months ago so I updated everything and ordered a new server. It happened again before I got the new server installed. I am kicking myself over that one!

I called tech support to figure out the best strategy to merge the week old good backup with current data from the crippled server. They blamed Apple as the source of the problem. I think he called it the virtual folders problem.

To mitigate this I suggest that your boot drive be WAY oversized and your mail store be on a different drive. That means that you probably can't go for a high performance SSD boot drive. Also adding an email alert for that drive getting full would be a good idea. My client wants to move their mail service to the cloud now.

Also the /Volumes folder is hidden and only accessible by root. So it took me a while the first time to find where all my drive space had gone.

If this happens rarely, then I guess I am just unlucky. If it is common, then I think Kerio needs to fix it. I don't know if this is a bug fix or a feature request. Chime in if you have seen this problem.
  •  
KL

Send a private message to this user
Seen it for years and still have problems with it.

Why would Kerio Connect EVER need to create something in the /Volumes directory?

We even have a script running on the server looking for a special file ".thisIsAMountedVolume" and taking actions when not seeing it.

PS. CrashPlanPro Server has the same behavior.
Previous Topic: Mail w/ attachment sent, but not delivered
Next Topic: Distributed domain problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Jan 18 15:02:02 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00415 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.