Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Manually configuring dnsmasq for more flexible DHCP (Question regarding manually configuring dnsmasq)
  •  
bradleyland

Send a private message to this user
By logging in through SSH, I can see the config files for dnsmasq in /etc/dnsmasq.conf and /etc/dnsmasq.d/ (which is empty). I'm familiar with the dnsmasq daemon through other sysadmin duties. Would it be ill-advised to drop some custom configuration in /etc/dnsmask.d/ to achieve my goals?

Goals:

- Have Kerio provide DHCP with option 66 (our router cannot)
- Have a dedicated WAN connection for voice

I currently have two interfaces configured in Kerio:

eth0 - LAN interface; static with DHCP enabled; gateway is provided (so that DHCP serves gateway to clients)
eth1 - WAN interface; obtains public static IP from ISP DHCP; DHCP disabled (obviously)

Our network is a single layer 2 domain (no VLAN), so all devices (computers, laptops, portable devices, etc) get DHCP from Kerio. Kerio derives its DHCP settings from the LAN interface config, so I must configure a gateway, or clients are unable to rout to the internet.

However, the WAN connection on eth1 is intended to be our dedicated voice connection. The Kerio Operator documentation suggest that no gateway should be configured on the LAN interface in this scenario.
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi Brad,

it sounds to me that you really need a mature DHCP server or perhaps even a better router. I hope you are aware that Operator is a PBX system Smile

Anyway, as far as I remember, the /etc/dnsmasq.d/ directory is not used at all. Instead, the daemon expects configuration in /etc/dnsmasq.conf. This file is re-generated whenever something changes in the Web Administration.

There is a way how to alter generated files just before they are used by the daemons. It will require some shell skills, mostly experience with 'sed'. If you feel that you want to give it a try and know what you want to change, contact me at <fjenicek<_at_>kerio.com>.

Best
Filip

[Updated on: Wed, 05 March 2014 08:34]

•  
bradleyland

Filip Jenicek (Kerio) wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 02:34
it sounds to me that you really need a mature DHCP server or perhaps even a better router. I hope you are aware that Operator is a PBX system Smile

Yeah, I'm really disappointed that our ZyWALL USG 50 doesn't have a more full-featured DHCP server. Candidly, I'm astounded that it doesn't support DHCP options. That's obviously not Kerio's fault though. I was a little surprised to see that Operator had a DHCP server at all Smile Kudos for that.

Filip Jenicek (Kerio) wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 02:34
Anyway, as far as I remember, the /etc/dnsmasq.d/ directory is not used at all. Instead, the daemon expects configuration in /etc/dnsmasq.conf. This file is re-generated whenever something changes in the Web Administration.

There is a way how to alter generated files just before they are used by the daemons. It will require some shell skills, mostly experience with 'sed'. If you feel that you want to give it a try and know what you want to change, contact me at <fjenicek<_at_>kerio.com>.

My sed skills are pretty good, so I'll shoot you an email, but I think I'm going to explore other options too. I would feel comfortable dropping something in /etc/dnsmasq.d/, but I wouldn't want to hack the system up too much. Depending on what's involved, it may not be worth "behind the scenes" config. I might have to velcro a Rasberry Pi to the top of our USG 50 and call it a "DHCP add-on" Smile

While I'm here, I want to take the time to say that I've been a sysadmin for 17 years, and worked in telecom for the last 5 years. Kerio Operator is, without question, the best value for a PBX I've ever used. Hell, it's my favorite PBX, period. You guys have done an incredible job of building a very refined and user friendly administrative system in front of some very good open source tools. Our Operator Box 3210 is the star of our new office. The other telecom guys in my office have been amazed by the depth of the features and the ease with which they are configured. Even the Cisco CME fanboy had kind words to say, and his mouth fell open when I told him the total licensed price. Great job!
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

It's great to hear a feedback like this. Many thanks!
  •  
bradleyland

Hi Filip, I sent an email with the subject line "Configuration hooks for Kerio Operator" on 2014/03/05, but haven't heard back. Not sure if it made it to you, so I figured I'd post here. No rush; just wanted to make sure you got it Smile Thanks!
  •  
UnifiedTechs-Brian

bradleyland wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 09:04
While I'm here, I want to take the time to say that I've been a sysadmin for 17 years, and worked in telecom for the last 5 years. Kerio Operator is, without question, the best value for a PBX I've ever used. Hell, it's my favorite PBX, period. You guys have done an incredible job of building a very refined and user friendly administrative system in front of some very good open source tools. Our Operator Box 3210 is the star of our new office. The other telecom guys in my office have been amazed by the depth of the features and the ease with which they are configured. Even the Cisco CME fanboy had kind words to say, and his mouth fell open when I told him the total licensed price. Great job!

Thats what you get when you listen to me Brad, you should try it more often! Rolling Eyes

- Brian
Kerio Preferred Partner, Reseller & Hosting Provider
Unified Technology Solutions
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

bradleyland wrote on Fri, 07 March 2014 15:33
No rush; just wanted to make sure you got it Smile Thanks!

Got it, replied.
  •  
ICT and Me

Bradley,
I want almost say replace your ZyWALL with Kerio Control box too.
You will see that Kerio Control is very mature Firewall/UTM that is lot easier to program and has very good DHCP support Wink

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
bradleyland

Yeah, I'd love to replace the ZyWALL with Kerio Control. Unfortunately, it's not in the budget right now.
Previous Topic: external trunk for internal subscribers
Next Topic: Invitation to conference
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 12:02:00 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00433 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.