Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Newbie-Some Questions About Kerio Connect
  •  
CT0_10M

Send a private message to this user
Good day Everyone.

I'm new to Kerio Connect. I have an assignment to suggest a cheaper alternative to Microsoft Exchange and I'm suggesting Kerio Connect. Thing is now I have to deploy the solution and I don't know where to begin so I've got some questions to ask you guys.

1. Can I install Kerio Connect Server on a Windows 7 or 8 machine and will it allow 80 connections ie if I create the mailboxes on the Windows box will my users be able to connect to it?

2. If I have got an Antivirus installed already on the computer will I still need Sophos and what is the function of Sophos? Will any other Antivirus work?

3. If I install on a Windows box that is not the server what will the primary domain and other details be.

I would really appreciate the help and a step by step guide for 'dummies' would be great.

Thanks all
  •  
Vicky

Hi Christopher,

Welcome to the forums Smile

1. We do have people running on desktop editions of Windows. I personally have not had anyone running Kerio Connect on Windows 8 but i have had a people run it on Windows 7 for small installations and things seem to be fine as long as the users manage their mailboxes.

2. You will still need Sophos as Sophos is the only built in AV for scanning email. As a side note your other AV will need to have the Kerio directory excluded from being scanned along with the Kerio Mail Store where ever you decide to put it.

3. The primary domain in Kerio will be whatever you configure it to be it is not preset by Kerio. So if you own a domain called mycompany.com you can configure Kerio to have that as its domain.

One thing you might find useful if you are a newbie to our software is our knowledge base:

http://kb.kerio.com

There are some good articles on there. Otherwise you can always post questions here.

All the best,
Vicky
  •  
CT0_10M

Thanks Vicki.

Your reply was very helpful and encouraging. Could you please explain a bit more what you mean by

" 1. We do have people running on desktop editions of Windows. I personally have not had anyone running Kerio Connect on Windows 8 but i have had a people run it on Windows 7 for small installations and things seem to be fine as long as the users manage their mailboxes. "

And again how do I configure the mail server to communicate with other mail hosts. I guess it has to do with the DNS, but I don't know how to do this.

Thanks
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Regarding Windows 7 and 8 - you need to check the EULA for the operating system if it allows running other servers (such as Kerio Connect) on top of it.
  •  
MarkK

I would consider running Kerio on top of a Linux server, like CentOS. It is an actual server OS, does not carry a licensing fee, and should be much easier of the system resources.
Previous Topic: IE 10 client randomly sending blank body messages / downgrade question
Next Topic: {Delete} command through Kerio Connect Client
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 03:51:34 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00482 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.