Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » kerio operator apt-get
  •  
milles2121

Send a private message to this user
where is apt-get on Kerio operator, I am in via root however the command returns "not found" when issuing apt-get. Please advise.
  •  
ICT and Me

of course not!
Kerio Operator is stripped Linux. Just only made for Operator. Why you want to use apt-get for?

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Carlo is right, apt-get is not available on Operator. It is not recommended to run apps other than Operator on the same machine.
  •  
milles2121

The issue is not about other apps, it is that Kerio refuses to acknowledge any other virtualization platform other VMWare. Operator is based on linux and including virtio drivers changes nothing dramatically in the platform, however we can't get Kerio to include virtio drivers that enable it to run on Openstack or KVM effectively. Having access to apt-get would enable us to install virtio drivers that allow for more flexible deployments ( I am also just open to having the drivers just included in future releases). Yes I know I could use the ISO and install it however that forces you to use IDE as the hard disk which is slower than paravirtualized drivers on KVM. I have seen numerous people ask for support for other platforms other than vmware therefore the virtio drivers gives that without to much inconvenience.

Openstack is a big deal and we would like to offer Operator in the cloud, but cannot optimize from a lack of access to drivers. Its already Linux apt-get virtio-modules would solve the issue.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 April 2014 16:14]

•  
ICT and Me

Hi Senecca,

I can see your point of view in this matter. But Kerio has made clear that they will not install apt-get or other kind of install utility. Reason is that they want to give us garanteed stable Operator (or Control). And if we can download what ever we want it can jeopardize the stable working of the system.

The only thing that you can do is send a request to Kerio to install those drivers.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
milles2121

Thank you Carlo.

Can you point me in the right direction for this feature request. Is the forums the appropriate place for this request? I do not wish to change the way they package meaning I do not need apt-get, it really was just the method for adding in the virtio-modules.
  •  
skeates

Sorry to jump in on an old post, but coming up against the same issue now.

We are working on putting together a KVM and are trying to get operator working how ever it's not picking up the virtio drivers. I have got this working on another hosting provider, but it was making use of the ide drivers.

Would really help if Kerio added these drivers into the operator and control packages. KVM is becoming a whole lot more popular and just about every hosting provider out there is running KVM.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

KVM support is now among some of the features that are being considered for the next major version of Operator. I cannot say I am 100% sure it will be there or give the availability date but let's say we are aware we must pay attention to KVM.

I will share an update once the scope for Operator 2.4 is more concrete.
  •  
peterz

Had operator working under Xen but not under KVM.

+1000 to get KVM/Openstack version working.

ZZ Servers - Business Hosting, HIPAA and PCI Compliant Hosting Solutions - http://www.zzservers.com
Xen Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Shared Hosting
Custom configurations, firewall, VPN, load balancers, private networks, more.
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Thanks, be sure to use the accelerated network card (virtio).
  •  
peterz

With latest release of Operator 2.4, I can now get as far as booting but cannot see the disk.

Using Openstack with KVM, any suggestions?

ZZ Servers - Business Hosting, HIPAA and PCI Compliant Hosting Solutions - http://www.zzservers.com
Xen Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Shared Hosting
Custom configurations, firewall, VPN, load balancers, private networks, more.
  •  
Filip Jenicek (Kerio)

Hi,

do not use virtio for disk drives.
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

We plan to add virtio disk drivers in 2.4.1 or 2.4.2 (2.4.1 is more likely).
  •  
Agador

Does that mean that XEN will finally be supported as well? Right now we are stuck with Oper 2.3 because automated upgrade fails on 2.4 and we still have heard nothing from development as to when a fix will be provided.

Jim
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi, could you provide some logs from the upgrade? (kernel/warning/error)

What is your Xen version?
Previous Topic: Kerio Operator 2.4.4 Patch 1
Next Topic: Kerio Operator with Dlink DVG 6004s
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 17 22:29:06 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00551 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.