Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to fix "socket limit reached" error?
  •  
tonyswu

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

Ever since upgrading to 8.2.3 we started getting this error once a week:

[12/Apr/2014 08:30:16] socklib.cpp: Cannot read from connection: socket limit reached.

And the server would be unresponsive and has to be restarted. We are using Mac OS X 10.8.5. Wondering if there is a way to permanently fix this?

Thanks.
  •  
Jonas Rodrigues (Kerio)

Hello Tony,

In this case I would advise you to submit a support ticket here -> http://www.kerio.com/support

All the best,

Jonas

Kerio Technical Support
Log Support Incidents here: http://www.kerio.com/support
Also, please use our KB: http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
Aux

Same, here:

[13/May/2014 19:03:51] socklib.cpp: Cannot read from connection: socket limit reached.
[13/May/2014 19:03:51] mail_dns.cpp: Cannot create DNS socket: socket limit reached.
[13/May/2014 19:03:52] socklib.cpp: Cannot read from connection: socket limit reached.
[13/May/2014 19:03:52] mail_dns.cpp: Cannot create DNS socket: socket limit reached.
[13/May/2014 19:03:55] mail_dns.cpp: Cannot create DNS socket: socket limit reached.

And many many more. Kerio is not responding, works again after a reboot of the server.
  •  
tonyswu

Aux wrote on Wed, 14 May 2014 01:16
Same, here:

[13/May/2014 19:03:51] socklib.cpp: Cannot read from connection: socket limit reached.
[13/May/2014 19:03:51] mail_dns.cpp: Cannot create DNS socket: socket limit reached.
[13/May/2014 19:03:52] socklib.cpp: Cannot read from connection: socket limit reached.
[13/May/2014 19:03:52] mail_dns.cpp: Cannot create DNS socket: socket limit reached.
[13/May/2014 19:03:55] mail_dns.cpp: Cannot create DNS socket: socket limit reached.

And many many more. Kerio is not responding, works again after a reboot of the server.

Mac OS X by default only allows 128 connections. You can use the following command to change the number:

sudo sysctl -w kern.ipc.somaxconn=8192

What we didn't know is this settings go away after reboot. In order to keep the settings after reboot, you need to create a file /etc/sysctl.conf, with one line of text:

kern.ipc.somaxconn=8192

After we did this, the socket error stopped. Hopefully it won't come back every again.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 May 2014 20:43]

•  
Aux

Thanks! I've increased the amount of connections, hope it doesn't happen anymore. Kerio support told me it will be fixed in a new update, hopefully at the end of this month.
  •  
MacLab

Tony, thanks for posting the answer. I think I ran into this on Workspace awhile back as well.

MacLab, Inc.
Kerio Certified Partner, Reseller, Hosting Provider, Kerio Connect Certified.
http://maclaboratory.com
  •  
tonyswu

MacLab wrote on Fri, 16 May 2014 05:23
Tony, thanks for posting the answer. I think I ran into this on Workspace awhile back as well.

Glad to help. We use Workspace as well, although it's not as heavily used as our Kerio server I probably should do this on that server as well lol Thanks for the reminder.
  •  
Aux

Looks like this is indeed fixed in version 8.3.0

- DNS requests might fail in some circumstances.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 May 2014 00:58]

•  
psw

We have a similar (?) problem at the moment with error logs like:
[25/Jun/2014 11:10:16] socklib.cpp: Cannot bind socket to local address 192.168.18.100 (OUR DNS-SERVER) when connecting to DESTINATION:25: (49) Can't assign requested address

Is this the same Issue? We're running Kerio 8.3.1

[Updated on: Wed, 25 June 2014 11:41]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

psw wrote on Wed, 25 June 2014 11:40
We have a similar (?) problem at the moment with error logs like:
[25/Jun/2014 11:10:16] socklib.cpp: Cannot bind socket to local address 192.168.18.100 (OUR DNS-SERVER) when connecting to DESTINATION:25: (49) Can't assign requested address

Is this the same Issue? We're running Kerio 8.3.1

No it is not the same issue. It is a configuration problem. You've probably configured some email domain to bind to an IP address, which is not available on network interfaces. Make sure you do not use DHCP but assign IP addresses statically to mail server.
Previous Topic: PROBLEM.. so many folders "drafts"
Next Topic: No calendar delegates on iPhone?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 22:31:14 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00474 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.