Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » are all SSL certificates created equal?
  •  
yukiomishima

Send a private message to this user
howdy

we have been running with a self-signed certificate without any issues

however.. with the joys of heartBleed... and the need to generally tighten things up... we are looking to purchase an SSL certificate to run on the server

are all certificates created equal?

is there an issuing authority that anyone recommends?

i have heard talk of free certificates... are they worth looking at

any help / advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

yukioMishima

[Updated on: Tue, 15 April 2014 19:25]

•  
yukiomishima

any help advice on this would be greatly appreciated

surely people are using SSL certificates

any good / bad experiences

companies to purchase from

HUGE thanks in advance

yukioMishima
  •  
tonyswu

I use RapidSSL / GeoTrust myself. I don't think anyone is providing free SSL certificate, and if there were, I'd probably stay away from it.
  •  
bruggles

And would be very nice if Kerio could create a step by step example of how to install a real certificate on both the server and Kerio Connect Web Client and Outlook. Current instructions are very vague.
  •  
tonyswu

bruggles wrote on Thu, 17 April 2014 11:05
And would be very nice if Kerio could create a step by step example of how to install a real certificate on both the server and Kerio Connect Web Client and Outlook. Current instructions are very vague.

I actually find installing certificate on the server to be easier than some other platforms I've worked with before.

Not sure what you mean by installing certificate on web client and Outlook. SSL certificate is installed on the server only.
  •  
MacLab

•  
MarkK

http://www.trustico.com/ is a good vendor for SSL certs. They are not all created equal, though they all do the same thing. Depending on your user base, you may want to get a certificate that is recognized by mobile devices, or you may want to get one that has a more trusted base certificate.
  •  
yukiomishima

huge thanks to everyone for your replies

currently we have 15 or so users... who primarily use outlook 2011 on the LAN... and mobile devices when outside the office

we have a couple of users that access via webmail... or remotely using outlook / entourage on a mac

any insight into the best type of ssl certificate for my needs would be hugely helpful

thanks again

yukioMishima
  •  
MarkK

I have successfully used a RapidSSL from Trustico. Though it doesn't specifically say it works with mobile, I had not had any issues with it being used by mobile devices. Cost is $20/yr. Trustico does offer free 30-day trial certificates.
  •  
yukiomishima

marKK

thanks again for your post

i spoke with trustico about their certificates.... their rapidssl does not include protection for mobile devices... however... their quickssl premium does... for ┬▒ 4 times the cost

is it necessary to have an ssl cert that specifically covers mobile devices as well?

our mail server runs on its own hardware... with a sub-domain of mail.domain.com... i assume that that is the "hostname of the kerio connect server" i need to use when applying for the cert

huge thanks again in advance

yukioMishima
  •  
MarkK

Few of things.

Trustico offers free 30-day certificates, so you can try the RapidSSL one for 30-days to see if it will work for you or not. If it doesn't, then you are not out any money, and then you can try the Quick Premium certificate.

The RapidSSL will work for mobile, but the phone may complain that it does not recognize the source as being from a trusted authority. If this is something that you are doing for a very small number of internal users, then you may consider letting the users know that they may see this "error" or "issue" and that they can continue past it. I don't believe that this is an issue if they are using Active Sync to push/pull emails to their phones.

Yes, 4 times the cost for the Quick Premium, but is $89 a year really that outrageous for a security measure?
  •  
MarkK

And...
Yes, you would get a certificate for the URL of mail.domain.com. What ever it is that you would type in from a home computer to access the work email server.
  •  
yukiomishima

markk

thanks again for your insight

a quick note... the 30 day free trial is based on the quickssl premium cert and not the rapidssl

i will give that one a go... see how we make out... and go from there

HUGE thanks again for all of your help / experiences with this

yukioMishima
  •  
MarkK

Not saying you are wrong, but their home page says " RapidSSL® 30 Day Free Trial". Did they tell you something else?

I have used a RapidSSL for a few years now without issue. Been thinking about moving up to the QuickSSL since it is supposed to be trusted by mobile.
yukiomishima

markk

according to the link on the trustico website.. ( http://www.trustico.com/dv/geotrust/trial/free-geotrust-tria l-certificate.php)

it appears to be the geotrust ssl.. which includes: "Works With Mobile Devices"

unless i am looking in the wrong place?

either way... will go with the free cert ass per the link above... and move to the quickssl once / if everything works as stated

HUGE thanks again

yukioMishima
Previous Topic: Can not receive Mails, no connect to the Messenger
Next Topic: Kerio Crashing Network
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Aug 17 23:24:39 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00542 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.