Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook 2011 - Users folders not syncing
  •  
Aeonium

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a strange issue with one of my users... he's been using webmail for the last week because he was between machines...

I have set up his account on Outlook but all that happens is the "Subscribed Public Folders" link appears and nothing else, no Inbox, sent, deleted etc. and as far as Outlook is concerned the account is online and fine... I logged in to his webmail and everything in there seems fine too.

I have reindexed his mailbox from inside the Kerio Admin page and that has made no difference... I have added my own account to this Mac and it pulls everything down fine for me and have added his account to mine just to prove that it really is the account at fault not the machine...

I also moved the journal.db away so Kerio would make a new one (because someone else suggested it)

But now I am stumped as to what it could be... anyone have any ideas?

It just seems weird that the webmail is working but Outlook suddenly isn't...
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

Delete user profile in Outlook, enable logging as described here: http://kb.kerio.com/article.php?id=1053
create profile again and if no mail will be downloaded, post here the logs.

Pavel Špalek
developer - Kerio Connect
  •  
Aeonium

Ok so I have once again recreated the user profile (this time with the error logging on) and Outlook has produced no error messages at all.

The problem still exists,

I have attached the log file with the settings that are mentioned in the kb article you pointed me to, hopefully you can see something that would explain this.

• Attachment: debug.log.txt
    (Size: 41.74KB, Downloaded 231 times)
  •  
Aeonium

Surely someone has an idea on what I can do to get this account up and working again?
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

Attached server log shows only 3 seconds of synchronization, only folder hierarchy is synchronized, message synchronization wasn't started yet. Outlook log would be more helpful.

Pavel Špalek
  •  
Aeonium

As I mentioned outlook configured in the way that the kb article says (basically ticking the "enable troubleshooting" box) produces no log messages at all in the Outlook error console.

The logs pulled from Kerio is everything that the client tried and then stopped sending messages to the server, there was nothing more further in the log with those logging options set related to the username in question
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

Outlook log is saved to the file "Microsoft Outlook_Troubleshooting.csv", which is placed in folder OfficeLogging on the Desktop.

Pavel Špalek
  •  
Aeonium

Oh my apologies I missed that bit, please find attached the csv file.

•  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

Synchronization stops due to invalid character in server response. Outlook cannot parse record of folder with guid "C34F901F-BAD4-451C-BA4C-5897B0D52712". Folder guid is saved in message store in the file status.fld in each folder, so please try to find folder with this guid. Maybe it has some invalid character in the name (other fields are base64 encoded), so please try to rename it. If you would be able to create network dump of synchronization, it would be helpful too, because the log is not complete, so this is the "best guess".

Pavel Špalek
  •  
Aeonium

Aha, mystery solved!

One of the users folders was titled "?Training" and that was the one it got confused with... Simply renaming the folder in the Kerio webmail fixed it and it now syncs to Outlook perfectly.

Thankyou for your help! Smile
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

I'm just curious: how did you create such folder name? (meaning in which client/protocol)

Pavel Špalek
  •  
Aeonium

Honestly I'm not sure... The user was using Outlook and given the folders age I can only assume it was not only created in Outlook but also worked in Outlook until this point in time.

The Kerio webmail client didn't see the ? at the start it simply listed it as "Training"

Users do seem to have the strange power to do odd things... I once had one create a filename that had a newline in it... resulting in a very confused file browser
  •  
Aeonium

Hey all,

I now have this problem again for the same user... If anyone could tell me how the GUID of the folder thats at fault is extracted from the logs I'd appreciate it, or if you'd like me to generate the outlook log again and tell me where I should be looking...

I've looked around for the same sort of naming problems I found last time with his folders but this time around they all seem to be perfectly fine names.

Posted here rather than create a new thread for basically the same issue Smile

Thanks!
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

I recommend to go through the names of user folders and look for strange characters Smile The way to find the problem is not completely exact, but you can try:

• enable Outlook logging (http://kb.kerio.com/article.php?id=1053)
  • find similar message in the log:
    2015-03-02 12:50:54.822,0xFFFFFFFF,Outlook Exchange Web Services,Error,"EWS: Error parsing data on thread=0x38cf54, Error=
    PCDATA invalid Char value 16
  • above this line is recorded XML response SyncFolderHierarchyResponse. Somewhere in this response is invalid character (decimal value 16 or 0x10 in hexadecimal in this case, but it can be a different value). If you find it, you have a culprit, the character is in the folder name (tag <DisplayName>).
  • The log doesn't always contain the whole response. The response can be divided into several lines in the log. You can increase the size of the recorded data (see this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2872257)

Honestly I don't remember why I sent you the folder GUID, I used some heuristics probably, but you can obtain it if you decode FolderId from Base64 to ASCII, then it's the last GUID in decoded string.
Good luck.

Pavel Špalek
Previous Topic: api-files.list.new is corrupted
Next Topic: Disable spellcheck possible?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Sep 26 00:31:55 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00510 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.