Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Upgrade Path (If I want to upgrade from an older version to the last one)
  •  
abirkner

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

Some customers do not upgrade their kerio connect servers with every new release! So I have sometimes the question: can I upgrade to the newest version without any problems?

In the current case we have Kerio Connect 7.3.2 installed and what to upgrade to the newest version(8.X). Is this possible? Do we need to upgrade to 7.x before? And what about the users pcs (KOC), will be only the client upgraded or do they have to sync all items new?

Any ideas?
Greetings from germany
  •  
BudDurland

The upgrade from 7.x to 8.x shouldn't be a big deal. With 8.x you have the option to use a 64-bit version. I upgraded from 32-bit 8.x to 64-bit 8.x very seamlessly. Going from 7.x, you may want to make a backup of the server.cfg and users.cfg file before doing the upgrade, just in case.

Clients using the off-line connector will have to be upgraded, but that should happen auto-magically when they start Outlook after the upgrade.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
My IT Indy

I would update to 7.4.1 and then update to 8.3. Make backups in between if possible.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
abirkner

Hmm,
sounds to me that there is no real upgrade path from Kerio.

What does Kerio Connect Support say to this issue?

Backup - of course
Direct upgrade to Kerio Connect 8?
  •  
Neil Whiteside (Kerio)

Hello abirkner,

HoosierMac is absolutely right. You should find the actual installation of the newer version takes only a few minutes.

There are post-installation processes that go on in the background once the upgrade is installed. These may slow the server performance.

You should also watch out for the size of your logs folder, as the newer version of Kerio Connect indexes all old log files so that they can be read as one contiguous file. It might be worth deleting old logs, or moving them to a separate location, as the indexing process can give the impression that Kerio Connect has stalled.

Finally, it is important that your Software Maintenance is current, otherwise you may not be able to upgrade to the latest version.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Neil.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Looking for technical support? http://www.kerio.com/support
  •  
abirkner

Hi,

"HoosierMac is absolutely right. You should find the actual installation of the newer version takes only a few minutes."

That's true... We have a Linux based Kerio Connect Installation for internal use that takes us only minutes to upgrade. That's not the Problem with Kerio Connect!

Usually there is no Problem to upgrade from Version 1 to Version 1.1 for example. Usually we know that the Client-Upgrade (KOC) will work like a charme after server-upgrade. But in this case the question is:

Should we upgrade in steps like: 7.3.2 to 7.4 to 8.3?
What will happen with the KOC-Client-Upgrade? After Server-Upgrade! Can there be an issue because we upgraded the Server in one big step! (from 7.3.2 to 8.3)
Customers don't like if the IT will drop there performance for one day because the KOC will upgrade and then 25 Users have to sync their complete Mailbox from Server to Clients again!
(Because of KOC Structure update or something like that)

I hope that clarify my questions!

•  
Neil Whiteside (Kerio)

Personally I always recommend users to go to the last release of the previous version before making the jump to the latest release; so in this case go to 7.4.3 then 8.3.0.

Note my previous comments about post-installation issues, so maybe schedule the upgrade over a weekend, or when there are fewer users for a good few hours.

You will need to upgrade KOFF - this can be automated via the webadmin interface, or you can do it manually.

It is recommended that users switch to webmail whilst their KOFF upgrade is going on.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Looking for technical support? http://www.kerio.com/support
  •  
abirkner

Hi,
I really appreciate that answer. That is what we want to know!
Go to the latest realease-version and then take the big step.

Thx
Arne-Hilm Birkner
Previous Topic: Out of Office messages sent to mailgrups
Next Topic: free busy calendar is not working through outlook
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 15:44:38 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00475 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.