Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook Categories (Color)
  •  
markg2

Send a private message to this user
Kerio Connector just installed with Outlook 2007.

Post install, it appears the Outlook file that contains the custom names and colors a user has created for Categories was either lost, rendered incompatible or?

The result is that my Calendar events no longer have either the name or color previously associated.

Is this a problem that I can fix simply by finding and moving an Outlook file or is this a 'forget it and start over with new categories'?

Mark
  •  
k.rafael

I'm not sure but I think Outlook 2007 saves the categories in the registry.

There is a nice tool "Transfer Outlook Master Categories"
look at www.klemid.de/tools.aspx

For working with categories I can recommend CodeTwo CatMan, it's a great free tool www.codetwo.com/freeware/catman/
  •  
markg2

Thanks for the reply--

The .XLS file transfers the cat list 'between' versions of Outlook. I have 1 version ('07)on the machine. The Kerio install nuked my 'created' categories. I don't see how the Transfer tool can help?

Mark

P.S. The last link Code Two CatMan--nice idea but it doesn't offer any advantage that I can see for a 'single user' not sharing Outlook data with another insofar as creating and managing categories. It looks as if I'm into recreating the darn category list particularly if it's previous contents are enmeshed within the registry (how stupid of MS).

Mark

[Updated on: Sat, 31 May 2014 15:15]

•  
k.rafael

I again checked that, Outlook 2003 stored it in the registry, 2007 does it in the pst file...

In Outlook 2007/2010 without Kerio Master Category List is stored in the default storage (PST file) C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\, but as far I know Kerio does not use pst files, so I'm not sure where the categories are saved...

Outlook 2003/XP/... uses Windows Registry to store its Master Category List. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Cat egories

sorry that I can't really help

the advantage of Code Two CatMan is that it uses a simple text file for categories, so it is easy to backup and restore

[Updated on: Sat, 31 May 2014 18:31]

•  
markg2

The Kerio install took the Outlook 2007 pst file and generated an ost file. Kerio either screwed up the xfer of the cat files in the process or ignored them. There's probably nothing to be done at this point but since I have a couple of months of support having just installed I'll generate a support ticket along with some other questions.

Thanks,

Mark
  •  
markg2

I found the solution.

Right click on the parent email account in Outlook mail. Select Properties and then click Upgrade to color categories. I left the machine alone with Outlook loaded overnight and the program apparently went back and recreated the name/color categories. They are mostly correct. With some pruning and editing I'll be okay.
Previous Topic: Link to web server
Next Topic: 100,000 messages in the inbox
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 16:40:31 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00413 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.