Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Choosing the address for the calendar (Use another address than the username for calendar entries)
  •  
sinf@crim.ca

Send a private message to this user
In my company, Kerio Connect is bound to AD. The username in AD are based on the last name and the first name to give 8 characters or less. Mine is "belangyv" because my name is "Yves Belanger".

The email addresses we use internally and with the exterior are formated as "First.Last[AT]crim.ca". So we define aliases in the KC account to accept this address format for each user. I have an alias "Yves.Belanger[AT]crim.ca" to the "belangyv" acount.

Everywhere, we define the address as the official address for the user.

For email in Kerio Connect, there are not much problem because almost all email clients permit to change the sender address to something else.

But for calendars, it's a nightmare with ALL clients: Webmail, Outlook 2010, Mail on Macintosh, iPhone/iPad, ... Communications between organizers and attendees are using the username instead of the defined address for mail in the software.

Example: In Outlook I change the address for "Yves.Belanger[AT]crim.ca" in the Kerio Connect configuration. Mails are alright. But if I receive an invitation to "Yves.Belanger[AT]crim.ca" and I accept, "belangyv[AT]crim.ca" will be used and the organizer will have 2 entries: the address he invites and the address based on the username.

When I say ALL clients, it is the same behavior with the Webmail. Calendars use username-based addresses instead of the defined email address for email in parameters.

I searched everywhere for a way to change that behaviour and didn't find anything.

Is it a standard in CalDAV to absolutely use the address based on the username as organizer address and attendees entries?

Is it because of the Free/Busy mechanism?

Sure, Free/Busy can't receive an alias as a parameter and try to find which user it belongs to give the availability of that user. Imagine with more than an hundred users the time it would take in searching.

But a good implementation would use a table of the aliases defined in the user definition to quickly respond.
  •  
Vicky

Hello,

This will be to do with the free/busy. As when you need to send an invite you must use the username so that the system can lookup your free busy information as that information is not available via your aliases.

However there is a way that you achieve what you want:

http://kb.kerio.com/171

This KB article shows you how you can map a different username into Kerio from the AD. With the article you can map the username to be firstname.lastname and therefore you would not need all the aliases and your calendar would use the email address format you want it to.

This would take some planning as you would have to re-import all your users and rename their email folders in the store directory but once it is done it would solve your issue.

I hope this is helpful to you.

All the best,
Vicky
  •  
sinf@crim.ca

Hello,

With

Quote:

<variable>
<name>Name</name>
<value><attribute regex="(.*)<_at_>(.*)" result="\1">mail</attribute></value>
<search name="userPrincipalName">${Name}<_at_>corpo.crim.ca</search >
</variable>

I succeeded to have the left part of the official email address as the username in the KC console.

But I tried every possible usernames to login and no one works. AD username, KC username, with the domain name, without, ...

What is wrong?

And will I be able to use the SPA mecanism (single sign-on with Windows) in Outlook now that the username in KC is not the short username?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

sinf<_at_>crim.ca wrote on Fri, 27 June 2014 21:46

But I tried every possible usernames to login and no one works. AD username, KC username, with the domain name, without, ...

What is wrong?

In AD only sAMAccountName or userPrincipalName can be used for user authentication. Not "email".
Quote:

And will I be able to use the SPA mecanism (single sign-on with Windows) in Outlook now that the username in KC is not the short username?

No. NTLM works only with sAMAccountName.
  •  
sinf@crim.ca

So, If I want Calendar to use real world email address I will not be able to login into the
account?

Why give a recipe to use something else then the AD username if it breaks the authentication?
  •  
sinf@crim.ca

I changed the userPrincipalName in AD for my test users. And do the change in "ads.map" as described in the URL sent by Vicky.

<name>Name</name>
<value><attribute regex="(.*)<_at_>(.*)" result="\1">userPrincipalName</attribute></value>
<search name="userPrincipalName">${Name}<_at_>corpo.crim.ca</search >

I can login into Windows with the sAMAccountName or the UserPrincipalNAme without problem.

But Outlook and webmail refuse to let me authenticate with neither of the identifiers, NTLM or directly specified. Giving a one of the possible domain names or not.

What have I done wrong?

Note: My AD Domain Name (corpo.crim.ca) is not the mail Domain Name (corpo2.crim.ca) so I do what it is written in the procedure in that case as you see in the previous lines of the configuration. At the end of the test with that test server, we will have simply "crim.ca" as the email Domain name. For now, it is "corpo2.crim.ca".
Previous Topic: Instant messaging on multiple devices
Next Topic: footers question
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Aug 17 23:23:40 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00407 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.