Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Move from XP to ubuntu or MS OS (consider the best OS for kerio connect)
  •  
pony

Send a private message to this user
I am planning to remove our mail server to new HW, and lot of question came up!
Should i use a brand server HW, like dell/hp/ibm? Or create custom HW, desktop? Server?
What OS?

So many scenarios, which bring me more questions!
First let me tell you about my current configuration.
I am running kerio connect ver 8.3 on win xp 32 bit, about 40 users,On desktop machine:
Intel motherboard
CPU = intel dual E2120
MEM = 2 GIGA
H.D = 2 of 1Tera drive with mirror
It work fine but it is time to say goodbye, and move to more powerful HW and 64bit OS.

First scenario:
Buy brand server with server OS + server cal's (for example DELL PowerEdge R210/R320 and win 2012 std)
This is looking the best for me but it is the most expansive:
Advantage: it Windows OS (kerio update should work smoothly, and I am expert with MS OS), server OS (eula, connection limit).
Disadvantage: price

Second scenario: Buy brand server with UBUNTU OS.
Advantage: free OS, no cal's needed, i am familiar/work with linux, as I see it better performance than MS OS.
Disadvantage: I don't know how ubuntu works with kerio, is it possible to upgrade from xp to Ubuntu? And I assuming there is more windows users.

Third scenario: build custom desktop with UBUNTU OS
Advantage: price, free OS, no cal's needed, as I see it better performance than MS OS
Disadvantage: I don't know how ubuntu works with kerio, is it possible to upgrade from xp to Ubuntu? And I assuming there is more windows users.

Four scenario: build custom desktop with Win 8.1 OS
Advantage: price, no cal's needed, (kerio update should work smoothly, and I am expert with MS OS), if XP works for me in the last 10 years, Win 8.1 should work?
Disadvantage: it isn't server OS.

I will appreciated if anyone can recommended, also if any Ubuntu users can share their experience with maintenance, upgrade, update, backup and how the anti-virus works?
  •  
Vicky

Hi Paz,

Personally while I love Mac computers for a 40 user setup I think going with Ubuntu would be the way I would go. Ubuntu is a great distro of Linux, is reliable and very user friendly (so its a great one to start with).

We have an article for moving Kerio to a new OS which you should find useful:

http://kb.kerio.com/360

I have Kerio Connect running on Linux and it has been rock solid and I have had no issues with it. Also Linux does access/read/write to the file system more efficiently. Upgrading Kerio on Linux is fairly straight forward, you do it all in Terminal (Command line/DOS in Windows). You simply stop Kerio with a command, issue the upgrade command and then start Kerio if it doesn't do it automatically.

I'm sure other users will give you some good feedback as well, but that's my 2 cents.

All the best,
Vicky
  •  
pony

Hi Vicky

Thanks for your answer. It help me decide, think I will go on the second scenario, buy brand server and install Ubuntu on it.

Few more questions on this scenario:
Is there any known issue on moving from 32bit to 64bit I should consider of?
The anti-virus that came with kerio, is it work on Ubuntu? 64bit?

Thanks Paz
  •  
Zdenek Samuel (Kerio)

Hi Paz,

The guide to move Connect on different server/platform is here.
How to install Connect on Ubuntu is available in this article.
And if you use integrated antivirus Sophos, you should have no problems.

In case of any issues, please contact our technicall support.

Have a nice day.

Zdenek Samuel
Director of QA
Kerio Technologies
  •  
Vicky

Hi Paz,

Kerio will run on Ubuntu 64 bit but you will need to install the 32 bit dependencies as the AV is not 64 bit sadly. The Sophos plugin is only 32 bit but this will not affect the performance. Just make sure you use either version:

12.04 LTS
14.04 LTS

As these support 32 bit dependencies. Moving to 64 bit from 32 bit is fine but have a look at the article I provided previously as that will show you the changes you need to do with moving to a new OS.

All the best,
Vicky
Previous Topic: Moving to VM-Kerio appliance
Next Topic: Single Sign On for Kerio Web Client
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Aug 24 10:30:56 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00423 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.