Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Exchange Server is primary, Connect secondary≈ (I'm having IMAP issues)
  •  
Schulmeister

Send a private message to this user
Hi All,

one of my customers has an Exchange Server that manages his primary company.
That has to stay the way it is.
He opened a second company and I want to use a Kerio Connect server for this one.

Everything runs on Win7-64, Office 2010 (32bit) and GBit Network.

Many Questions:

1. is there any chance to run Exchange and KOFF on one Qoutlook ??
I tried - didn't work out well

2. If I configure the accounts with prim. Exchange, secondary IMAP on the Kerio I have a strange behaviour: it takes ages (5-20 seconds) until you have access to the imap folders ?? and after the first 20 sec. it works fine until ca. 10 min. later, it takes that time again.
If I configure a different imap server (one of my web-accounts) all ist fine.

I'm stuck - the customer isn't happy - please help me Smile
  •  
Vicky

Hi Hanns,

1. An Exchange connection and Kerio KOFF connection will not work well together as they both want to be the default store in Outlook and Outlook can only have 1 account be set to the default. I have seen some customers be lucky and this just works and for others (like yourself) it does not. There is not much we can do about this behavior unfortunately.

2. I have sometimes seen IMAP be slow if the account is large. How large is the IMAP account? Is it a blank email account or has it been migrated over from another mailserver?

All the best,
Vicky
  •  
keriojet

Schulmeister, thanks for bringing this important topic up.

Hi Vicky -

I am a huge fan of Kerio products and would like to see Kerio succeed. In the past, Kerio was very responsive and helpful, but on this issue, I am seeing no response for the past several years. Kerio needs to realize that companies, employees, and freelancers are much more "portable" and "switchable" in their solution set and desire simplicity and flexibility at once.

As an Exchange server alternative, Kerio is finding itself in a different battle than its previous encounters with Microsoft. With the proliferation of Exchange accounts being promoted as a solution through various cloud Exchange providers and Microsoft's own Office365, at price points that are extremely competitive with Kerio, people are simply going to have Exchange accounts that they want to use side-by-side with Kerio's solution. Many of these people want to see all of their accounts in one Outlook profile, and they need both (a) the full Outlook functionality with Exchange accounts and (b) the full Outlook KOC/KOFF functionality with Kerio accounts - at the same time.

I too have a situation where client computers are to be configured with Kerio Outlook Connector (KOFF) to utilize Kerio Connect via Outlook 2013. The people using these computers also each have one or several IMAP accounts and one or several Exchange accounts that they need to keep track of. The Exchange servers hosting the Exchange accounts do not allow IMAP, POP3, or EAS connectivity; they only allow the full Exchange protocol for connections.

Ideally, the users want to simply open Outlook 2013 and see all their various accounts in one place, which makes it easy to keep up with all incoming email.

If they had only Exchange and IMAP accounts, it would be easy; Outlook easily handles this.

However, because Kerio KOFF demands that it be the primary store, and doesn't work with other Exchange accounts, the Exchange accounts cannot be added into the same profile.

This problem continues to increase, and it isn't going away.

When I try to argue for Kerio in the face of this problem, most IT people / business managers say, "let's stick with the standard; this Kerio stuff seems problematic and doesn't work with our standard solutions." Out goes Kerio as a contender, because it mucks up Outlook and won't allow the native functionality of Exchange accounts to work side-by-side with Kerio accounts.

I know that within the walls of Kerio, the sentiment is likely, "Well, they should just work with the Kerio product." But that's not reality. Many companies are using a hybrid workforce of contractors and part-time employees, people who often bring their own computers to work and who themselves need to keep up with much more than one Kerio account. They can't be restricted to IMAP/POP (and thus lose calendaring and other Outlook team collaboration functionality.)

Having worked in software development for quite awhile, I suspect that, while a large project, refactoring the KOC/KOFF to allow simultaneous use of Kerio and Exchange accounts is not impossible.

Is this something that could be worked on by Kerio? If Kerio can't provide the flexibility, then people (based on what I am seeing) are just going to flee back to Microsoft's solutions.
  •  
Schulmeister

Hi Vicky,

thanks for the quick response.
It's an freshly installed Kerio Connect (some 50msgs) and an ol Exchange System (several gigs)
The Exchange is very quick but everytime I change to the Kerio via IMAP it freezes Outlook for several seconds. Sometimes almost minutes - the customer goes for task manager then - that is not good Sad

If theres anybody who did have the same problem - and a solution - please help....

Thanks again

Hanns
  •  
keriojet

Vicky (and anyone else at Kerio), no thoughts?
  •  
Vicky

Hi Hans,

I can understand the frustration of not being able to have both connections in the same profile and there have been other customers that have called us asking the same question in the past. Unfortunately its just not possible to have both KOFF and Exchange in the same profile due to the fight they have to be the default message store. The only real thing you can do is to list a suggestion for the developers to find a way to support this to work in a future version of Kerio Connect.

In regards to the slow IMAP connection, I can't say I have a customer come to us with that issue, or at least not us in UK support. You may beneift from opening that as a support ticket so that we can help you and you will have a maximum 2 business day SLA for a response. So we should be able to deal with this problem much quicker than in the forums. That would be my advice anyway.

All the best,
Vicky
  •  
enman

Maybe something has changed over the years?
  •  
peer_g

Got exactly the same problem with a customer and Outlook 2016. Very annoying!
As a workaround i set up different profiles the user can choose from.
  •  
keriojet

GFI forum representatives, I'd like to point this thread out to you in regards to supporting Exchange and Kerio Connect accounts in one Outlook profile.
Previous Topic: Missing Spam button
Next Topic: Default sent folder when using MAPI (Kerio) and Exchange
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 17:03:41 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00550 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.