Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook KOFF Send/Receive Status x%, slow with many e-mail addresses
  •  
mbox

Send a private message to this user
We recently upgraded Kerio Connect 8.0/8.1 to 8.3.1. Some of us have since been noticing that "Send/Receive Status: x%" displays a lot in the Outlook 2007 32-bit (KOFF) status bar (on Win7 64-bit). On my system, it takes about 60 seconds to slowly increase from 0% to 100%, with a minute or so pauses between synchronizations, so it is synchronizing much of the day.

If I right click on "Send/Receive Status" and select "Details...", it shows dozens of tasks, one for each e-mail alias the Kerio account has, like this:

myname@example.com sends as My Name <myaddress1<_at_>example.com> - Receiving | Completed
myname@example.com sends as My Name <myaddress2<_at_>example.com> - Receiving | Completed
myname@example.com sends as My Name <myaddress3<_at_>example.com> - Receiving | Completed
myname@example.com sends as My Name <myaddress4<_at_>example.com> - Receiving | Processing
myname@example.com sends as My Name <myaddress5<_at_>example.com> - Receiving | Processing
...etc...

On my system, it shows about 100 tasks, and it completes a few tasks per second, with a few second pauses every dozen or so tasks, so that's why it takes 60 seconds. Some other people have a one or two dozen email aliases, so it doesn't take as a long as mine but still is synchronizing a lot.

The synchronization doesn't seem to cause real performance problems, at least that I know of so far (and CPU is below 5%), but it does raise questions--our president noticed it and pointed it out to me, for example. Moreover, I have observed other significant KOFF related performance problems in the past and have needed to take various steps to reduce KOFF performance issues (e.g. keeping folders below 10000 messages, clearing the Outlook cache for large mail boxes from time-to-time, turning off indexing services, upgrading KOFF, etc.), so it's something I've always needed to pay attention to with large mail boxes.

I'm curious why the number of Outlook Receive tasks scales linearly with the number of e-mail address aliases. Is this normal? Are there factors that affect this? It doesn't seem to me that the number of email addresses should affect synchronization time.

I don't recall seeing this in the older versions. However, in the older versions I did occasionally see the synchronization seem to hang until Outlook was restarted.

You may ask "why do you even have so many aliases"? Years ago it was an attempt at spam control, giving out different e-mail addresses to different people requesting it (e.g. website registrations) and having the ability to delete those aliases if they get too much spam. But this was not easily manageable from Outlook at the time, and since then spam filtering has become much more reliable, but I still have the aliases. In any case, the above question still remains.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 July 2014 23:57]

Previous Topic: Public Folders
Next Topic: Recommendations for postmaster account
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 04:46:00 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00388 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.