Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Jabber/XMPP Working, but... (I'm not sure why or how; it doesn't seem it should be.)
  •  
jcooper

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I'm just beginning to play with this. I have set up our internal DNS Server per the KB article:

_xmpp-server._tcp.kingarch.com. 18000 IN SRV 0 5 5269 mail.kingarch.com.
_xmpp-client._tcp.kingarch.com. 18000 IN SRV 0 5 5223 mail.kingarch.com.

(see attached screenshots of Mac 10.6.8 Server)

Running a Jabber account (Mac Messages) internally seems to work ok, but I still show, in the Instant Messaging Service Availability, no DNS SRV Record (red X in column). How is IM still able to work?

Also, I manage to connect sometimes with my iPhone via Monal. It also worked from outside the LAN, which is puzzling as it shouldn't be able to see our internal DNS; my ISP hasn't set up the records on our main DNS Server yet. So I'm not sure how it was able to do that. I obviously do have the port open on our firewall and pointed to the server; but I thought KC and the clients needed these DNS records to work?

Speaking of Monal, it doesn't work great, but lots better than anything else I've found (most didn't work at all). Are there any iOS XMPP clients that anyone uses reliably with KC 8.3, that doesn't need an account somewhere else?

Ideally, Kerio will develop their own IM/Presence app (mobile and desktop) someday soon. (hint hint)

Thanks,

Jeff

[img]./fa/3555/0/[/img]
[img]./fa/3556/0/[/img]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Send a private message to this user
jcooper wrote on Fri, 25 July 2014 14:23

Running a Jabber account (Mac Messages) internally seems to work ok, but I still show, in the Instant Messaging Service Availability, no DNS SRV Record (red X in column). How is IM still able to work?

Because _xmpp-server is used only for XMPP federation (ie. communication with users in other domains or on another XMPP server). It is not required for inhouse XMPP deployment.
_xmpp-client is for easier client configuration where the client detects the server hostname from your account name. You still can configure an account in XMPP client without this if you enter the server hostname and port number manually.
Previous Topic: Failed POP3 login from
Next Topic: Fulltext Serch
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 16:42:57 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00368 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.