Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » considering using SSD as primary mailstore
  •  
sfpete

Send a private message to this user
Hi all-

We presently manage approximately 20 Kerio Connect mail servers of different hardware configurations. Most of the recent ones installed are Mac Mini's with Promise Pegasus 2's in RAID10 configuration.

This is working quite well and performance is great. The only downside being these are still multiple spinning disks, and have the standard associated potential for failure.

Has anyone made to switch to entirely SSD based mailstores? The performance and longevity at face value appears like it would be through the roof.

The enterprise class SSD I'm looking at is the SanDisk CloudSpeed Ultra (the 800GB variety).

http://www.sandisk.com/enterprise/sata-ssd/cloudspeed-ultra- ssd/

Two of those per Mac Mini server... mirrored... or alternatively four in an external thunderbolt can in RAID5.

They run about $1100 each.

Thoughts?

Theories?

Insights?

Love?

Hate?

•  
vomsupport

I have looked into several of these drives..

I have yet to get 2 questions answered...

1) What level of RAID is best suited for SSD drives.
2) Do they require any special controller for max performance?

At a minimum Raid 1 would be $2200 ( Dell wants 3100)

I do not mind spending the cash.. but with our customers having no concern for storage ( our average user message store is 15GB ) we can only service about 50 users... vs SAS costs of $750.

•  
lodewijk

We have been using consumer grade Samsung 840/EVO and now the newer Samsung 850 PRO SSD's in macmini's for smaller installations for some time now (we have a lot of small clients) untill now no issues yet (samsung has the lowest return rate akkooring to some reports), just make sure the backups write to some other spinning disk (as is should anyway), as massive writes to these cheap drives is not what they are designd for, also not for 24hour use...but in the end kerio connect does not write much at all on smaller installation, it's mostly read.

for bigger installations we use Promise Pegasus's in RAID10 with promise spinning disks. (RAID5 is absolute now anyway right?)
I like them, but I have had 2 drives fail on me recently without the RAID noticing it, and so not alerting me, or rebuilding to the spare.
And promise support is so frustrating, it's like working with monkey's with half there brain cut out...(sorry, could be I had very very bad luck both times)

I still have no clue about SSD in raid and if you need a special controller for it (apart from enterprise grade SSD's)
promise has a small "prosumer" Pegasus J4 that takes SSD's but it's unclear to me if the thing even has a raid controller in the first place..

•  
Spacey

Hi,

on one MacMini Server I've got 2 consumer SSDs (Samsung SSD 830'er 256GB) running in RAID 1. This is working very well since years. I've got TimeCapsule Backups to an external HD running as well as 7 day backwards nightly backups for a database. No SSD or RAID Problems so far.

For my Kerio I've got an Intel 600GB (SSDSA2CW600G3) SSD as well in my normal MacMini - no RAID. And it's working very well since 2 years. It's "only" 3GB SATA but very fast. Our about 100 users don't complain. I've got daily Kerio Backups to an external HD as well as TimeCapsule Backups to another external HD for recovery reasons.

•  
billybons2006

As for me the best corporate SSD - Intel only.
  •  
TheMilkMen

We use SSD in our hosted services because of the speed difference.

I had previously hosted our Kerio servers at Digital Ocean and when I switched to custom built servers the first thing I noticed was how slow Kerio Connect responded. I installed a Crucial 1TB SSD and everything returned to normal speed.

Now all our servers use Crucial SSD's
  •  
vomsupport

•  
Spacey

You can use Raid with custom SSDs in MacMini Server - but then you can't use Trim (Enabler). So it's your decision what you prefer.
Previous Topic: Kerio Outlook Connector Outbox
Next Topic: Exclude internal domain users from Auto Responder
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Mar 29 13:12:44 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01024 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.