Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Thunderbird LDAP settings
  •  
jledbett

Send a private message to this user
I have been playing around with thunderbird and am unable to get the LDAP address book working. I can see in the log the query but I get no addresses/cards in the address book.

On a second issue, is there any possiblilty that the calendar addin for thunderbird could ever work with events and tasks from kerio? Would give us a super alternative to Outlook.

James
  •  
jledbett

Okay, to follow this up, maybe I am missing something. I have also tried to use outlook 2000 to add the LDAP address book and have the same results, it looks it is working, but I have no addresses, even though I have personal contacts and a global address book with 20 or so entries.

Is this a 6.0.1 problem, or is this my ignorance in how to configure the LDAP client?

James
  •  
jonbrain

Hi

In Outlook you have to right click the contacts e.g. 'Global' then click on properties, then the tab 'Outlook Address Book'. Now tick on 'Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book.

Jono.
  •  
jledbett

I have the service under the outlook profile with the hostname, username, password, etc. If I go to the addressbook and try a find in the ldap directory, I get no results. If I change the username to something invalid I get invalid authentication or something along those lines. So I think it is making a connection to the database.
I have also tried changing the Search Base to fn=ContactRoot as per manual. In the debug log on the server it shows
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} LDAP server session begin; client connected from 10.0.1.62:2327
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} Authenticating user jledbetter<at>staveco.com...
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldapdb} jledbetter<at>staveco.com: Looking up in cache...
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {auth} Krb5 auth: user jledbetter<at>lebmo1.local authenticated
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} Successfully authenticated user jledbetter<at>staveco.com
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} Searching subfolders in ~jledbetter<at>staveco.com/*
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} Searching in ~jledbetter<at>staveco.com/Contacts
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} Searching subfolders in ~jledbetter<at>staveco.com/Contacts/*
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} Searching in ~jledbetter<at>staveco.com/Public Folders
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} Searching subfolders in ~jledbetter<at>staveco.com/Public Folders/*
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} Searching in ~jledbetter<at>staveco.com/Public Folders/Contacts
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} Searching subfolders in ~jledbetter<at>staveco.com/Public Folders/Contacts/*
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} Cannot open contact folder ~jledbetter<at>staveco.com/Public Folders
[19/Aug/2004 09:34:28][2744] {ldaps} LDAP server session close.

But I still get no results. I am stumped.
  •  
KellyMc

I have the same problem with Thunderbird.

FYI, I also get no results with Netscape 7.1 (OSX, XP) and Mozilla 1.6 (Linux)

But I do get results with the same settings using Netscape 7.2 (XP, OSX), Mozilla 1.72 (XP), and Apple Mail (OSX)
  •  
sonofcolin

Has anyone figured out how to use LDAP and Thunderbird. Having the same problems as described in this thread. Would like to get it working.
  •  
jledbett

I had some limited success, I could never get it give me back a list of addresses, but I did notice that autocomplete(address lookup) was working. I dont have anyone except myself trying to use thunderbird so I didnt pursue it any further. I would really like to see calendar support enabled someway, then it could be a very viable alternative to outlook.
  •  
sonofcolin

This is what I get in my logs when trying to connect to KMS with Thunderbird:
[25/Sep/2004 05:44:25][46277120] {ldaps} Anonymous bind from address 212.158.xxx.xxx successful
[25/Sep/2004 05:44:26][46277120] {ldaps} Search for substring .*dennis.* in attribute mail
[25/Sep/2004 05:44:26][46277120] {ldaps} Search for substring .*dennis.* in attribute cn
[25/Sep/2004 05:44:26][46277120] {ldaps} Search for substring .*dennis.* in attribute givenname
[25/Sep/2004 05:44:26][46277120] {ldaps} Search for substring .*dennis.* in attribute sn

Users have to authenticated to use LDAPS and 'dennis' is in our database. Any ideas?
  •  
KellyMc

This will probably be no help at all, but I've now got Thunderbird (.8, and .6 before it as well) working fine with LDAP (Apple Open Directory) and here's all I know.

Initially, TB .6 for Windows would connect but give no results at all. Same results with Netscape 7.1, but 7.2 worked fine.

I assumed it was unsupported and gave up, but came back a week later (it still wasn't working), and double checked my client settings. Strangely, after reopening the settings window for that LDAP connection and clicking through the three tabs, then clicking "OK", it worked fine. I then did the same thing on a Linux TB client that wasn't working and it started working too.

Like I said, no help at all.

FYI, I played with a couple of different Base DN's and it currently works with "dc=[domain],dc=com"
  •  
jonbrain

Hi kellyMC

Just tried them settings in my copy of Thunderbird 0.8 and worked a treat.

Thanks very much.

Jono.
  •  
jledbett

Okay, I am trying this again as an alternative to Outlook. Can anyone post there config for using Thunderbird with the LDAP server in KMS? I have tried it everyway I know, and I still don't get a list of addresses, and when I try offline import, I get 0 cards.

James
  •  
mattmatic

I've been bashing away trying to get LDAP working between TB 0.8 and KMS 6.0.3. Here's what I've found...

For TB, setup the LDAP directory:
* Name: Test
* Hostname: kmsserver
* Base DN: fn=public,fn=ContactRoot
* Port Number: 389
* Bind DN: username

(Answer the TB questions about username and password that should follow, and save the password)

In the TB address book, select the "Test" directory, and press the Advanced search button. Now, here's the interesting part. Kerio only returns values if you select "Display Name" and "begins with" - which is the query that's given when TB auto completes the email address.

Any other search critera just don't work.

So, my guess is there's a problem with Kerio... and I'd like to see it fixed pronto (before I buy the KMS ;) )

Thanks,
Matt
  •  
Speedwaystar

mattmatic wrote on Tue, 05 October 2004 18:18

* Base DN: fn=public,fn=ContactRoot

You can actually leave Base DN blank.

Quote:

Kerio only returns values if you select "Display Name" and "begins with" - which is the query that's given when TB auto completes the email address.

I can verify this, with some additional information.

Outlook Express works out of the box, but *also* fails if asked to select "contains" rather than "begins with". Sounds like Kerio's Regular Expression parsing is up the creek.

Microsoft Outlook simply fails to work, period. Oddly, the searches it's doing (from Kerio debug log) look identical to Outlook Express.

*confused*

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2005 10:51]

Previous Topic: KOC 6.0.5 under Outlook 2002 SP3
Next Topic: Updating SpamAssasin
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 06:37:49 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00448 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.