Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » Operator plans
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I would like to give you an update on Kerio's plan for Operator for the next few months.

The short version is: We would like to try something new now.

The (slightly) longer version is: We have a relatively long list of smaller feature requests/ideas. Some of them have been requested by our users, some of the ideas are simply based on our own experience with Operator (the "We need to improve this if we ever have the time" category).

We asked ourselves: Shall we go for the next large feature(s) or shall we now pay some attention to the list of smaller improvements?

The answer, at least for the next 4-5 months, is: Let's make the list shorter!

You can now expect several minor releases, each bringing some "smaller" new feature or even several of them. We see this approach as better than bundling a large number of small features in a "standard" major release. The benefit is a faster delivery.

We have in fact already tried this approach, for example Operator 2.3.2 came with the manual Day/Night mode switch, automatic update of the external IP address, or the option to allow calls arriving from an interface (like another Operator machine) to dial out via some other interface.

In the near future, you can expect things like the blacklisting for incoming calls (probably not a "small" feature for some users as there are countries where the telephone spam is quite a problem), improvements in the SIP interface dialog, improved fax success/failure logging, improved e-mail notifications (interface up/down), etc. The list is prone to frequent resorting, but I should be able to give you an update about what to expect before each minor release.

Fell free to comment if you like/dislike this approach or would like to ask a question.

Vladimir

[Updated on: Wed, 21 January 2015 13:25]

•  
Michael Ruffin

That sounds fine to me, I'd be happy with more frequent smaller updates. Sometimes the smaller updates (like the Day/Night mode) can make all the difference with some clients!
  •  
wschild

I agree with small updates as a priority.

My #1 feature request is the ability to tie (by default) extensions to different outbound routes without dialing a prefix.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 September 2014 22:17]

•  
fishtech

Sounds great to me. Thanks for the open-ness.

I can't think of any 'large features' I need but I'm sure I will appreciate them when they come.

Cheers,

ft.
  •  
whaw

What's more important than feature requests? Smile
The users tel you what they need and what is important.
+1 for the small updates.
  •  
nigelayres

I agree - knocking out some of the requested features would be good!
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi,

Here's an update about what to expect in Operator 2.3.3. The more interesting items include the following:

* Blacklisting for incoming calls.
* Support for encrypted calls with Cisco/Linksys SPA phones.
* New Event log to record events of interest, like the result of fax transmissions.
* Optional e-mail notifications when an interface changes its state (goes up or down).
* New optional columns in Call History: IP addresses, user agent string, codec, QoS, interface used for the call.
* A re-factored and hopefully more intuitive Advanced Forwarding dialog.

The version is now being tested, and we expect a release in 1-2 weeks.

Vladimir
  •  
Afropuffo

****Feature request****

The ability to ask for a long distance PIN when placing a call.

So when a user picks up a phone and dials outside the local call area, a voice prompt is heard "enter your pin", the user enter 4 number pin, and if correct continues to make LD call.

This would help with who can call LD, and a report based on user pin (for accounting purposes - lawyers etc)

Also an added layer of security in case pbx gets compromised.
  •  
scottdube

Is there a way to find the updated user documentation? The date on the document online now is Dec 2012. I'm sure I'm just missing it. What is the documentation plan if you do a lot of minor releases?

Thanks
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Scott,

Which document are you referring to? Can you send me the URL?

Thanks,
Vladimir
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

I see. These KB articles link to PDF documents. While the PDFs are updated, the articles themselves are not. This could be misleading.
  •  
ESP Projects

Since you've been upfront and honest with us about the fact that you are going to implement smaller changes, could we take it one step further and ask you to publicise a list of all the change requests in one place and perhaps a rough order of how you are working through them?
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Well, we are doing this the agile way, which means that the list changes often. I do not want to say "We will deliver X in 3 months and Y in 4 months from now," if it may or may not be true.

What I can say is that right now we are working on some improvements in SIP interfaces. One of the effects is that the current limit on the number of external phone numbers will be removed.
sourceminer

Vlad, what is the status on the Call History specifically QOS possibly MOS? I need some serious help here with regard to troubleshooting call quality.
Previous Topic: Question about FAX
Next Topic: autoprovision gigabit phones, such as snom 715 or Grandstream GXP2130
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Aug 21 10:13:21 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00582 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.