Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Problem with network home directories and contacts
  •  
jelockwood

Send a private message to this user
I am having a problem with all Mavericks versions (or at least 10.9.3, 10.9.4, and 10.9.5) on all Macs where the Mac and user is configured to use a network login account with a network home directory. The directory server is Open Directory, and the network home directories are also shared from a Mac server (via AFP).

Everything works fine except for one thing, if I configure the Mac user to use the Contacts application and connect it via Exchange EWS protocol to a server then immediately after adding that account it is fine, but if I quit and relaunch Contacts it then locks up. As Apple Mail uses the same Contacts service to suggest auto-complete email addresses it will then also be affected as well i.e. it will also lock up. If I reboot and again launch Contacts for the first time again it will work. However even if one does not quit and relaunch Contacts due to the way Mail talks to it, it will very soon lock up.

Using exactly the same Mac with a local login account and exactly the same Exchange server account this problem does not occur, it only occurs when using a network home directory.

Using Mountain Lion, with the same Mac (obviously reinstalled), the same network login and network home directory and the same Exchange account, the problem does not occur.

Using exactly the same Mac with Mavericks, the same network login, the same network home directory, but using CardDAV instead of Exchange, the problem does not occur.

It does not make a difference whether Apple Mail is setup at all, or has an Exchange account defined or an IMAP account defined. Mail will still use the same link to the Contacts application for both Exchange and IMAP accounts, and Mail will lock with with either IMAP or Exchange.

One slight wrinkle here, is that I am using Kerio Connect rather than a 'real' Exchange server. Kerio Connect does support the "Exchange Web Services" protocol used by Apple Mail and Contacts, and also supports the CardDAV protocol. I have even tried two different Kerio Connect servers and two different versions of Kerio Connect. I don't have access to a 'real' MS Exchange server to compare.

The only circumstances in which things go wrong are :-

Running Mavericks
    Using a network home directory
    Using an Exchange (EWS) account in Contacts

Anyone else see a similar problem?

Note: I would prefer to use Exchange for Contacts rather than CardDAV if possible because adding a single Exchange account for Contacts gives you access to both your personal contacts, and the company directory (in the form of an Exchange GAL), adding a single similar CardDAV account only gives you access to your personal contacts and you need to add a second differently configured CardDAV account to get the company directory, so CardDAV is more work.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 September 2014 12:41]

•  
lunddal

Yes, we have the same problem, but with CardDAV, and when it happens, we have to delete all Address Book setting and reinstall the contacts using the Kerio installer.

Btw. our company directory is shared as a public folder, and when CardDAV syncing is enabled for the shared contacts, they appear in Address Book when settings up using the Kerio installer.
  •  
Sensai

sorry to post here but i cant open a new thread... when i click on new topic it shows me the registrations rules all times... what im doing wrong?
  •  
jelockwood

lunddal wrote on Wed, 08 October 2014 08:59
Yes, we have the same problem, but with CardDAV, and when it happens, we have to delete all Address Book setting and reinstall the contacts using the Kerio installer.

Btw. our company directory is shared as a public folder, and when CardDAV syncing is enabled for the shared contacts, they appear in Address Book when settings up using the Kerio installer.

It seems to be standard to have the company directory as a public folder since ours does this as well. The problem as I mentioned is that merely adding a 'standard' CardDAV account does not give you access to the public folder aka. Company directory. Indeed even Kerio's own instructions support this. See http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect/os-x/how-to-manual ly-create-a-carddav-account-in-apple-address-book-721.html

You can see in that article it talks first about setting up a CardDAV account for your own contacts, and then it talks about setting up an account to get the public contacts, therefore by their own admission one needs to setup two accounts and to do this you have to trick Apple's Contacts application in to allowing the use of the same login twice. (By using username of username and then username(domain.com) )

Unfortunately Kerio are brain dead regarding Exchange support. If you use an Exchange EWS account this gives you your private contacts and it also gives you the Exchange GAL equivalent but the GAL for some utterly stupid reason only lists email addresses and does not pull down the rest of the contact details unlike CardDAV.

(As using an Exchange account for contacts causes the previously mentioned crashing problem the fact it does not give you the correct full details is a relatively minor issue.)
  •  
lunddal

But nonetheless the locking up also happens for us when using CardDAV and network homedirs.

It's not consistent but it happens from time to time.
Previous Topic: Sending and Receiving email
Next Topic: mailserver.cfg problems
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Feb 23 03:27:59 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03288 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.