Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » End of SUSE and openSUSE support (Kerio Connect 8.4 will not support SUSE distribution.)
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

Starting with next major version (Kerio Connect 8.4, release in Q4/2014) the server will no longer support installation on SUSE or openSUSE systems.

Q: What does it mean?
A: Kerio will not design Kerio Connect for running on SUSE systems (both 32 and 64 bit). Kerio Connect will not be tested on these platforms and Kerio will not guarantee that the product works with no issues on these platforms.

Q: What should I do?
A: Consider migration to another Linux distribution (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL). More info at http://kb.kerio.com/category/kerio-connect/installation-and- upgrade/ . If you have a message store on a different disk, simply install new Linux system, attach disk with message store data to this system, install Kerio Connect and copy /opt/kerio/mailserver directory to the new server.

Q: Why?
A: SUSE and openSUSE distribution represents less than 2% of Linux installations and consumes a lot of development and QA resources. We are going to more focus on all other Linux distributions we support now instead.

Q: What happens if I upgrade to Kerio Connect 8.4?
A: The product will be updated but we cannot guarantee there are no bugs related to SUSE platform. We may not be able to help you in case of any problem.

Thank you for understanding.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 July 2016 10:31]

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Technical support: http://www.kerio.com/support
------------------
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
pentoli

Pavel,
Sad to see that my favorite Linux distribution is not supported anymore. I did setup a debian and a Centos distribution and did some testing with the VM available on your site, but none of the options seem really nice to me, as I am too lazy to learn a new distribution.

What news can you give us regarding migration to other platforms:
-Which is the recommended Kerio platform?
-In number of users: Which is the most used platform?
-Which will be the next distribution you will not support anymore (in order to avoid that one)?
-What about the Windows version? Does it make sense to migrate from Linux to Windows (in terms of easiness to setup the new server)?

Olivier
  •  
mirQ

It is very hard to believe that Kerio doesn't longer support SUSE systems.
In older release notes (< 8.4) I can't see any information about that. The deprecated support of SUSE OS should have been announced very much earlier!

Where did you get the information about less than 2% SUSE installations?
In U.S.? In Europe? In Germany, the situation is very different!
I doubt seriously there are less SLES installations as Ubuntu. You're very much mistaken there!

We recently the licenses renewed and we will be using in no case a different distribution.
Which does it mean "not supported"? Is the update working technical on SLES systems and there is no support from kerio in case of errors?
Which installation package should I use? From RHEL/CentOS?

I think we will be using a different groupware solution in future... very sad

Regards
Mirko
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I understand it is not a pleasant information and we probably should communicate it earlier than this post in the forum.

Believe me, it is not easy for us to make such decision. Virtual appliances are getting more and more popular literally every month. We see that Linux flavour is not so important for our customers. Linux environment used by Kerio Connect server is almost the same for all distributions and there is no much difference in terms of maintenance for our Linux customers.

It means that we will not test nor design our installer and Kerio Connect to run on openSUSE or SLES. We cannot guarantee it can be installed there or run flawlessly.

------------------
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

pentoli wrote on Wed, 17 December 2014 12:17

-Which is the recommended Kerio platform?

CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu. Any of these three.
Quote:

-In number of users: Which is the most used platform?

It is very close. From Linux distributions it will be Debian and CentOS.
Quote:

-Which will be the next distribution you will not support anymore (in order to avoid that one)?

Windows Server 2003
Quote:

-What about the Windows version? Does it make sense to migrate from Linux to Windows (in terms of easiness to setup the new server)?

It is up to you. If Linux command line does not scare you, go with Linux. Also, Windows Server requires CAL licensing so it could be more complicated and expensive to comply with Windows Server EULA.
Quote:

Olivier

------------------
  •  
mirQ

Hi Pavel,

thanks for your response

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Fri, 02 January 2015 17:05
I understand it is not a pleasant information and we probably should communicate it earlier than this post in the forum.

If I use Kerio Connect on a SLES system I have to renew Kerio licenses and SLES subscriptions.
The minimal duration of both is one year, therefore, you would have had to announce the end of support at least one year ago.

Believe me, it is not easy for us to make such decision. Virtual appliances are getting more and more popular literally every month. We see that Linux flavour is not so important for our customers.

If you are using a system management solution (SUSE Manager or RHEL Satellite) you have a homogeneous environment and then the choice of distribution _is_ very important.

Linux environment used by Kerio Connect server is almost the same for all distributions and there is no much difference in terms of maintenance for our Linux customers.

This statement contradicts itself when you say: "...and consumes a lot of development and QA resources".
Is the maintenance of SLES and RHEL so different? Both are RPM-based...

It means that we will not test nor design our installer and Kerio Connect to run on openSUSE or SLES. We cannot guarantee it can be installed there or run flawlessly.

OK, I will try to update my installation to version 8.4 in a test environment.

Thank you and best regards
Mirko
  •  
wobbel02

Hello Pavel,
this is very bad news for me. It is not so long that we have choosen Kerio as replacement for our outdated email system and one reason was support for SLES. We have consolidated all non-windows servers to SLES. For example, our ERP-system is running on SLES since nearly 10 years. It is not very likely that we will change to an additional server flavor. In other words, seen from the current point in time it seems likely, that we have to change to another email system.

Btw, i have updated to V8.4.1(3789) this weekend and had no operational problems with this version on SLES11 up to now.

I also agree to what mirQ wrote regarding subscriptions etc.

Regards
Karl

Previous Topic: php kerio api - delete contact
Next Topic: SharedFolderBrowser.cpp error and problem with delegation
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Mar 29 09:17:00 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01058 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.