Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Distributed Domain and Webclient login
  •  
rbremer

Send a private message to this user
If you have a distributed domain setup, each user gets assigned a specific home server. SMTP email routing works great, but when you login to the webmail client on the wrong server, it will simply refuse your login (and the user has no clue, he simply gets login failed). Only the error log will tell you "user has a different home server".

Why would the webmail client not send a redirect to the user, giving him a chance to log in to the correct server? AFAIK each server knows about all other server names (DNS names), as it can deliver SMTP messages to each other just fine. So I think it could simply send a HTTP redirect to the correct URL (maybe even passing the username and password along).

Or am I missing something in my configuration?

Yours,

Ronny
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Redirect where? The server knows an IP address (usually from LAN range) of other home servers. But it does not know public IP address of the other server nor DNS name under which is the server accessible from the Internet.
This is a current limitation of distributed domain. You'll need to wait for next versions where this will be addressed.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Technical support: http://www.kerio.com/support
------------------
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
rbremer

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Tue, 07 October 2014 10:20
Redirect where? The server knows an IP address (usually from LAN range) of other home servers. But it does not know public IP address of the other server nor DNS name under which is the server accessible from the Internet.
This is a current limitation of distributed domain. You'll need to wait for next versions where this will be addressed.

Pavel,

if you click on the distributed domain button in the domain list of the admin panel, you will clearly see all DNS names of all slave servers of that domain. So all servers are aware of the DNS names of all other participating severs of a distributed domain. At least this is what I can see in the GUI.

Ronny
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

No, you see an Internet hostname presented by the server in SMTP sessions. In many cases it is not the same as DNS name used by the users. Particularly if you have more than one email domain on the server.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Technical support: http://www.kerio.com/support
------------------
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
rbremer

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Tue, 07 October 2014 10:30
No, you see an Internet hostname presented by the server in SMTP sessions. In many cases it is not the same as DNS name used by the users. Particularly if you have more than one email domain on the server.

I see, that makes sense of course. I will wait for the upcoming changes to the distributed domain handling.

Yours,

Ronny
Previous Topic: multiple SSL certificates and the reason why we need this
Next Topic: Calendar sharing within a domain
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Jan 21 18:26:58 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01235 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.