Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mass deleting messages on server and journal.db
  •  
submission587

Send a private message to this user
I've read some old threads about mass deleting messages from folders on the server using method:

1. Stop server
  2. Delete or move messages out of the folder.
  3. Rename of delete index file.
  4. Start server and run reindexing.

Most of the threads are from few years ago, I'm not sure if EWS and Outlook 2011 support were around then. Does this method mess up the journal and Outlook synchronization or is it safe in that regard?

I have a user that has massive amounts of email which we need to clean up. We are archiving it elsewhere but removing tens of thousands of messages from any email client locks up the account and takes a long time. I'd rather do it from the command line but I don't want to have to recreate the account in Outlook 2011.
  •  
Vicky Tripp (Kerio)

Hi Submission,

The steps you have listed pretty much are the same as before. If you were to remove thousands of emails from the store then when Outlook reconnects it will sync the changes from the server and this may cause the profile to lock up. What you may find better is to remove the Outlook profile, delete the mass of emails and then create a new Outlook profile on the users Mac.

So the steps should be:

1. Remove the Outlook profile
2. Stop Kerio Connect
3. Remove the eml files
4. Start Kerio Connect
5. Go to the Web Admin->Users->Right click on user->More Actions->Re-index Mailbox
6. Create a new Outlook profile

In your post you did mention the .journal.db, normally I would not expect this to have a problem with a mass delete but if you wanted to be on the safe side you can always delete the .journal.db while the Kerio Connect server is stopped. The file will re-build itself after you start the server back up and the users profile it re-built.

The only other thing I would recommend is what I advise everyone to do, MAKE A BACKUP, this way if anything goes wrong you have a plan B and a way to restore any damaged data.

I hope you find this helpful.

All the best,
Vicky

Vicky Tripp
Kerio Technical Support Engineer
  •  
submission587

Thanks for the tip. I was hoping to avoid recreating the profile in Outlook 2011, we'll still be leaving thousands of messages and resyncing all of them over EWS will be very slow. I thought that Outlook would sync deleted folders away faster than fetch everything again. Outlook usually seems to fetch between 500-1000 messages and then does "updating server" phase, then fetches some more and so forth. This makes syncing even a couple of thousand messages very slow compared to IMAP which is usually quite fast.
  •  
Vicky Tripp (Kerio)

Hi Submission,

You may not need to remove the Outlook profile but if you are removing a lot of emails then you are prevent any lock ups in Outlook happening at all.

It is completely up to you if you want to remove the Outlook profile or not. Chances are the profile will be ok while syncing the changes but if it locks up removing the Outlook profile will be the best thing to do.

All the best,
Vicky

Vicky Tripp
  •  
submission587

Actually, I did something in between. I used the "Empty Cache" function on the Outlook folders that were emptied. It worked well and removed the local copies of those folders without needing a time consuming sync.

Thanks for your help!

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2014 10:40]

•  
Vicky Tripp (Kerio)

Hi Submission,

Ah great Smile At least you managed to get everything sorted.

All the best,
Vicky

Vicky Tripp
Previous Topic: Signature KERIO Webmail
Next Topic: Put image in signature in Webmail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat May 27 04:28:37 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01025 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.