Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Be careful when updating to OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
  •  
aceint

Send a private message to this user
Hey there!

This might be interesting for the Mac using Kerio Connect customers.
I have experienced some kind of "bug" / issue that brought us a two day downtime. It could have been avoided if for example Kerio would have announced the existence of this - according to Google - well-known problem.

Anyway. The point is, when you run an upgrade to OS X 10.10, the system copies the hole usr/local folder. File by file. One at a time.
This leads to the fact that the installation / update takes a few hours' time - if you're lucky. In our case - we have an 80GB Kerio data store - it took 26 hours so far - still running. On a brand new Mac Mini, just by the way.

So, just in case you plan to run an upgrade towards OS X 10.10, make sure you copy the Kerio data storage from the usr/local folder before and copy it back after the update has been successfully installed. Otherwise it will take you ages, too.

Best Regards
  •  
Spacey

Experienced this on my test machine: It was 10.9 with running Kerion on it. I upgraded to 10.10... upgrading the OS itself went smooth but suddenly my available drive space was extremely high - the OSX upgrade removed all my Kerio content. OK no problem in general since it's a test machine but for production enviroment it'd be catastrophical!

I wanted to upgrade to the latest Kerio (p1) version then. The Kerio installer won't finish because he can't find the JRE. I installed that one fresh as well (Java tests on their website show's I'm running the latest Java version) but Kerio installer still won't install.

Ideas here?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Yosemite installed moves whole /usr folder into Recovered Items folders on your system disk at the beginning of installation. And them moves them back.

You need to install JDK, not JRE. JRE does not install "java" binary into a correct system path.
  •  
Spacey

Hi Pavel,

The whole data is gone - I guess this happened maybe due to not enaugh space?!
I've got a 1TB SSD and the Kerio storage takes about 490GB.
After the upgrade I had about 970GB free space on my SSD.

About that JRE / JDK stuff: I just followed your (kerios *g*) link to the Java download - the window opened automaticly :/

Thanks for the hints - I'll try JDK!
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

The link is not ours. It is from Apple - just type "java" in Terminal to see it.

Regarding missing data I am afraid you need to contact Apple. We do not know all the details about Yosemite installation or upgrade internals. I am sorry.
  •  
Spacey

It's not that bad for me since it's only a test machine - so no loss for me. But maybe others experience the same within a production enviroment!
Previous Topic: Clean Install on Yosemite fails ... Java runtime
Next Topic: CentOS 7 + Samba 4 AD schema - Error!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 06:19:14 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00475 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.