Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and 10.10 (Yosemite) important information (A must read for all customers with Kerio Connect wanting to upgrade to El Capitan or Yosemite)
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Send a private message to this user
Upgrade from previous OS X

Important: Yosemite installer moves all data from /usr folder to temporary Recovered Items folder during upgrade process. If Kerio Connect message store is located in a default location (/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/store) this action causes significant delay in OS X upgrade. It could take up to few hours depending on message store size. We've got also reports that these data are removed if the disk does not have enough free disk space.

Solution: Move message store to a different disk before doing an upgrade.

Missing Java

Clean installation of El Capitan or Yosemite has no Java installed. To install Java just type "java" in a Terminal and download Oracle Java 8 from the website opened by OS X. Please note you need to install JDK as JRE does not seem to install java binary properly.

./fa/3651/0/
./fa/3652/0/

• Attachment: Untitled1.png
    (Size: 108.36KB, Downloaded 8792 times)
  • Attachment: Untitled2.png
    (Size: 134.13KB, Downloaded 8716 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 14 October 2015 13:34]

•  
Jorge

thank you this is good to know
  •  
Jorge

-removed-

[Updated on: Wed, 05 November 2014 19:16]

•  
sfpete

Thanks for the info Pavel!

However, just to clarify...

When upgrading a Kerio Connect server to Yosemite, you advise to "Move message store to a different disk before doing an upgrade."

Is that really necessary?

Wouldn't it be sufficient to just temporarily move the store out of the /usr folder (on the same disk) before doing the upgrade?

Moving it to an entirely new disk (and back) seems like it could take a very long time depending on the store size, and I just can't imagine why it would need to be done... unless I'm missing something?

thanks!
  •  
sfpete

Anyone else want to chime in to confirm or deny?
  •  
sfpete

•  
timrycroft

Did a successful Yosemite upgrade... however after what appeared to be all working fine the open directory authentication bit didn't work properly. I did a test upgrade which appeared to work fine with kerberos but it falls over under load!

After digging around its the kerberos side of things which seems to throw a wobbly every so often, its not all the time but when it does happen no one can login. Its not a huge issue and have changed authentication to internal database.

However would like to work out why Kerberos was such as issue, this had worked flawlessly prior to Yosemite.

The KDC logs on the mac server come up with this all the time:
Dec 10 08:01:59 XXX kdc[68]: DSUpdateLoginStatus: Unable to synchronize login time for **Username**: 77009

The Warning logs on Kerio come up with this intermittently but not all the time:
Can't bind to LDAP server XXXXX. ldap_result() failed. User name: uid=diradmin,cn=users,dc=mail,dc=xxx,dc=xxx. Err. code: -5, message: Timed out, LDAP srv. message: (NULL). ThreadId: 4455415808

Kero Error logs intermittently: kerio external authentication server rejected authentication due to invalid password or authentication restriction

Then ran Terminal command on OS X server
Terminal command kinit -S host/XXXXX@XXXXX username@XXXX
Terminal logs on OSX server: kinit: krb5_get_init_creds: Server (host/XXX@XXXX) unknown

Just about to setup a new test environment, import users but not the OD database. I'll re-create this as I've seen another article talking about certificates on the users and how this isn't resolved unless you create a new OD and then import the users. Not sure how much of this I believe but I'll feed back into the forum once I've done more work.
  •  
timrycroft

Forgot to say, the installation of Yosemite took around 5 hours even though the dialog box said about 4 minutes remaining.

When I loaded up the log's I could see it was moving all the email files back to the original location.
  •  
Think Fixed

Has there been any word from Kerio on this? I have one customer who hosts their email onsite on a Mac server, and I would like to upgrade their servers to OS X Yosemite. If OD is going to be a problem, I could just convert them to non-OD accounts.

Howie Isaacks
Systems Admin | Apple Solutions Consultant
Think Fixed LLC, Dallas and Fort Worth

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
Nielsvk

Thanks for the tips.

I'm currently still on OSX 10.6.8.
Can i take the big upgrade step to 10.11 at once?
Or do you recommend an other strategy?
  •  
Think Fixed

Nielsvk wrote on Sat, 14 November 2015 08:18

Thanks for the tips.

I'm currently still on OSX 10.6.8.
Can i take the big upgrade step to 10.11 at once?
Or do you recommend an other strategy?

I don't recommend going from 10.6.8 all the way to 10.11, especially if you're running Open Directory. You should instead erase and reinstall. Before doing that, archive your OD data, and import it into a test server to see how well the data is assimilated into 10.11. This may also be a good time to consider moving to a whole new server, or migrate Kerio Connect to the cloud. There are several cloud hosting providers who could migrate all of your data to the cloud. If you PM me, I will tell you who I work with to host my Kerio Connect servers. I can't mention them here without being accused of advertising for them.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
  •  
Nielsvk

I run just the normal 10.6.8 version. Not the server edition. So i don't think i use OP? Is that right?
My Kerio mailserver contains only 1 domain, with 4 imap clients. Not a very complicated setup.

I just want to make the step to an newer OS because of the security and like the new webmail as seen in de new 9.0 beta.
Maybe is this update also 2 good time to replace my Mac mini 2 ghz with en newer 2011 model i had but not use at the moment.

Never was aware of the cloud option, maybe a good time to change.
Our mailarchive during the years is 40GB and we like to keep it available through mail in OSX.
I gonna contact my Kerio provider tomarrow. Thanks so far.
  •  
perennialdesign

Sfpete, This is a good point. Has anyone tried this suggestion successfully or not? I might move to a Windows based KC server to avoid the Mac OS hassles.

sfpete wrote on Tue, 11 November 2014 12:36]Thanks for the info Pavel!

However, just to clarify...

When upgrading a Kerio Connect server to Yosemite, you advise to "Move message store to a different disk before doing an upgrade."

Is that really necessary?

Wouldn't it be sufficient to just temporarily move the store out of the /usr folder (on the same disk) before doing the upgrade?

Moving it to an entirely new disk (and back) seems like it could take a very long time depending on the store size, and I just can't imagine why it would need to be done... unless I'm missing something?

thanks

[Updated on: Mon, 16 November 2015 22:40]

•  
Think Fixed

Move to the cloud instead. Kerio Connect runs way better on Linux than it does on either Mac or Windows. Less overhead, and less RAM and CPU requirements.

Howie Isaacks

www.thinkfixed.com
perennialdesign

For anyone else curious about Sfpete's post.
In a test environment with an x64 Mac Mini 10.6.8, I successfully upgraded to OS X 10.11 and KC 9.0

Run Apple Software Update, install updates
Stop Kerio Connect Server
Move Mailstore directory to Parent level of Hard disk
Start/Complete 10.11 install
Restart
Stop Kerio Connect Server
Restore Mailstore directory to proper location
Install Java JDK
Install KC 9.0
Restart
Confirm mail services have resumed

Notes
10.11 download and install completed in approximately 2.5-3hrs
First login to OS resulted in black screen with cursor (15min, SSH unsuccessful) - hard reset.
Second login to OS successful
Repaired disk and permissions
No load tested on server after install completed
Installed OS X JRE Java after being prompted

Previous Topic: Introducing Kerio Connect Sync for Android
Next Topic: Important update about antivirus in Kerio Connect 9.1.1 and earlier on Mac
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Apr 24 07:30:13 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01144 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.