Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mail sending under Yosemite slower?!? (Mail sending under Yosemite slower?!?)
  •  
drfloyd

Send a private message to this user
I have the impression that the Mali Shipped within Yosemite from Apple Mail takes much longer than before under 10.9.x. I have my computer "only" updated. How is that with you? I once stopped the time, a mail without content consumption 22 sec. Until it is out.
  •  
frankbb

We got the same problem with all Yosemite PC's. Sending is very slow (20-30 seconds without attachments). But not only sending ist slow, everything is very slow. If we move a mail in another folder, i takes more then 30 seconds.

I have checked the activity window in apple mail and I think the authentication is the slowest part, which everything else is also slow. There are also more than one authentication process, mostly there are 3-4 process only for authentication.

This problem seems only in Apple Mail 8.1, all other like Outlook are working fine.

We are using Kerio 8.3.4 Patch 1 on a 32bit CentOS with IMAP Secure. Log-Files are clean, System are not under heavy load.

Does anyone have an idea?
  •  
macjimbo

Adding my feedback, I've found that Mail in Yosemite is much much slower than 10.9. Sending messages, moving messages, marking as junk and so on. Sometimes it seems to get stuck (activity window has several threads with no progress and nothing finishes), necessitating Mail quit and restart.
  •  
JaYWeB

Same Problem Here, all our Customers with OS X 10.10.0 and 10.10.1 have Problems with Slow E-Mail (sending, moving, deleting)

This must have to do something with Kerio
Because we also run standard Linux Mailservers (Postfix, Dovecot) at some other customers and we don't have any Problems at all with OS X 10.10.x

For me, Kerio ist not a good Mail Solution anymore... thats why we now move our customers to standard Linux Mailservers, where Mail works like it should work.
  •  
frankbb

I think we found the problem and the solution. In the settings of your mail account in the tab "Advanced" should be an option like "Automatic detect account settings" (sorry i only see the wording in german and doesn't know the correct english wording, but it must be the first option/checkbox).

We have disabled the checkbox and now mail should work a lot faster.
  •  
JaYWeB

@frankbb

Yes, it really speeds up now! Thanks for the hint.

But, this ist not the right solution, we cant tell all out customers to make some advances Settings in Mail... it must work right out of the box as this is a standard setting in Apple Mail.

As i wrote before, all our other Mailsolutions (Standard Linux Mailservers) we use at other Customers work out of the box with "Automatic detect account settings" enabled in OS X 10.10.
So it is an Kerio Connect issue.

•  
frankbb

Maybe it's not a Kerio Connect problem, but rather a problem with the DNS settings of the mailserver. Services like Autodiscover or SRV Records should help apple mail to be faster, because this services tell apple mail and all other e-mail clients how to connect to the mailserver.

We will try some custom DNS settings/services in the next days. I will report our results.
  •  
JaYWeB

@frankbb
I dont't think so... as i said before with standard Linux Mailserver it runs without any Problems.

If once Apple Mail is setup with an account, it should work out of the box without changing DNS or advanced settings in Apple Mail

We can't see this problem with our Standard Linux Mailservers and there whe don't have any custom DNS Settings at all. We can see this only on all the Kerio Connect Servers that we are running.

And Autodiscover or SRV should be just for Setting up an account and not if it already is setup in the client.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 November 2014 15:07]

•  
macjimbo

this is all quite helpful and I can confirm that switching off the 'Automatically detect and maintain account settings' does appear to get things running correctly again.

I agree that this is not a long-term solution but it should help the Kerio tech team identify how to resolve the issue.

Thank you frankbb for figuring this out Smile
  •  
JaYWeB

And don't forget to switch the setting "Automatically detect and maintain account settings" to off in the SMTP configuration.
It really works well now.

Thanks frankbb

But Kerio still needs to take care of the issue, as this is not normal.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Does this happen to new IMAP accounts created in Yosemite or only for IMAP accounts created in older OSX (eg. Mavericks) and then upgraded to Yosemite Apple Mail?
  •  
frankbb

For me it was an existing imap account from Mavericks. But I also reseted Apple Mail and created a new imap account with the same problems.
  •  
drfloyd

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

JaYWeB wrote on Tue, 18 November 2014 13:06

We can't see this problem with our Standard Linux Mailservers and there whe don't have any custom DNS Settings at all. We can see this only on all the Kerio Connect Servers that we are running.

I am pretty sure this issue is also with other servers (see eg. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740626).
We do not know yet what Apple Mail is doing inside and why there are delays.
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I think I may have a clue about what's happening. Could you look into the security log on the server? Are there any messages related to failed SASL authentication methods from your Apple Mail client?
Do you use local user database in Kerio Connect or users are mapped from a directory service?
Previous Topic: Kerio 8.4.0 WP7.8 Support
Next Topic: Slow CalDAV-Interface
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Sep 23 02:06:56 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00507 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.