Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » stick outbound interface to extension
  •  
thomas_next

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

This is a simple setup with 2 external lines, each line bound to 1 extension (so 2 physical phones)
We are figuring out how to make sure that phone 1 (extension 1) will always use interface 1 for outgoing calls, and phone 2 (extension 2) will always use interface 2 for outgoing calls.
I know that, by default, extensions that have an external number mapped to them use the same external number when calling out. But here the incoming calls are first routed to an attendant script that will play a welcome message and the route the call to the specific extension.
So here the default behavior is useless for us. The result is that all outgoing calls from the 2 extensions are routed through the same interface, which is the first one in the list).
How could we 'stick' the extensions with their proper outgoing interface?

Thanks,
Thomas
  •  
ksnyder

One approach might be to use a combination of prefix and call permission groups.

Step 1: Prefixes to outbound interfaces
Outbound1 - require an "8" prefix
Outbound2 - require a "9" prefix

Step 2: Create two call permission groups
ForceOutbound1 - 8 allow, 9 deny
ForceOutbound2 - 8 deny, 9 allow

Step 3: Extension properties
For each affected extension, set the Call Permissions field to the appropriate rule you created above

Any other ideas?

Ken Snyder
  •  
thomas_next

Hi Ken. Thanks for your answer. I'll first try this at our site. I have to look a bit further about 'call permissions' but does it mean we'll need to dial the correct prefix (8 or 9) for each call? We'd like to avoid this.
  •  
ksnyder

Yes - it does mean you'll need to dial a prefix. But the way I've suggested crafting the Call Permission rules will force the first extension to use an 8 and will not allow them to use a 9 prefix. Likewise, the 2nd extension will only be allowed to dial a 9 for outbound and not an 8. So there can't be a "mistake".

Ken Snyder
  •  
thomas_next

Hi Ken,
I found on the IP phones an option to automatically add a prefix to called numbers. I've added a different prefix to each phone, and configured the same prefix to the respective outbound interfaces.
Seems to be OK now. The advantage is that the users do not need to manually choose the outbound interface.
  •  
ksnyder

Excellent - thanks for sharing your solution. No impact on dialing other internal extensions I assume?

Ken Snyder
  •  
thomas_next

Well, actually this could be a problem! But in this particular case it's not that important as there are 2 users, with 1 phone each, in a small office... they don't have to transfer calls or call each other by phone. But in an other context, this could be more than annoying. What would be the solution?
  •  
ksnyder

You may want to craft a custom dial plan. The method for doing this can vary based on your phone brand/model. Google: <brand> dial plan examples

Ken Snyder
Previous Topic: Calls "Hang"
Next Topic: SIP provider blocking our connection
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Mar 26 00:41:07 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01143 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.