Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Searching in Outlook (2010)
  •  
universaldean

Send a private message to this user
We have implemented Kerio Connect in a clients new server environment and are very impressed with the product, the only question that has come up that I have been unable to find any information on is regarding the searching of mail items in Outlook when connected to the Kerio server via the Outlook Connector.

Users are reporting searching is much slower that they would usually expect when searching via Outlook, and that search terms are not filtered as they would expect. The example I have tested is searching for emails from somebody named 'Sue'. If I search for simply the phrase sue I am given a list of emails with this series of characters in it, which is exactly what I would expect (including words such as 'issue' as this contains the word 'sue'). If however I surround that in double quotes (ie. "sue") I would expect this to only find items that contain 'sue' as a whole word. I have confirmed this is how it functions in Outlook connected to a MS Exchange server, however with clients connected via the Kerio Outlook Connector it functions the same as before (still matching the word 'issue' etc.)

Furthermore, users have found that Outlook will not search 'as they type', whereas Outlook would function this way when connected to a MS Exchange server (ie. they need to hit Enter or click the search button to begin the search, it doesn't occur on the fly).

Is there any way to get this functionality in Outlook using the Kerio Connector? These users have a large amount of emails and being able to narrow down their searches in this way is quite important to them.
  •  
ksnyder

Send a private message to this user
In the example you cite, "sue" would match for both "Sue" and "issue" as that is an exact match in both cases. Unfortunately Outlook doesn't support wildcards...can you believe it!! You might be able to incorporate a _blank_space in front of your search term " sue" in order to pick up "Sue" but NOT "issue", but I seem to have mixed results with that and technically there would need to always be a blank space in front of the name "Sue" for there to be an exact match.

I can confirm that Outlook for Mac does search as you type, but I keep my inbox very small. Large mailboxes/folders can affect search speed. One recommendation would be to be specific about where to search (subject, body, to, from, etc.) and/or search within specific folders rather than the entire mailbox.

The Kerio Connect Client is fast and reliable and does support full text search (for those who are comfortable outside of Outlook).

This article may be helpful:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Learn-to-narrow-you r-search-criteria-for-better-searches-in-Outlook-d824d1e9-a2 55-4c8a-8553-276fb895a8da

Ken Snyder
Previous Topic: For latest version of Kerio: Note 4 unable to transmit password
Next Topic: Windows 10 preview works
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue May 23 12:37:21 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00864 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.