Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Kerio Control Box performance (what effects kerio control performance?)
  •  
Kerio Blue

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

We are using the Kerio Control appliance (Kerio Control Box 3110).
Recently we have upgraded our internet connect to 100 Mbit down and 20 Mbit up. However, behind the firewall we only receive 60/12.

I am wondering what is limiting the speed? I am reluctant to play with a device in production and would appreciate some ideas.
We are running Antivirus, Kerio Content Filter, DHCP server. Only a few traffic rules are configured, nothing overly complicated.

Or is it the fact that we are using the first generation Kerio appliance and the hardware cannot keep up?

Thanks.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 November 2014 00:20]

•  
Kerio Blue

I have figured out the bandwidth problem. However, I find it puzzling.

According to this article: http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-control/bandwidt h-optimization/bandwidth-management-setting-speed-of-the-lin k-1373.html the bandwidth should be set 20% lower than what the ISP advertises. That is what I did, I set it to 80/15. So far so good (or bad). Just out of curiosity I disabled all the bandwidth rules and removed the internet bandwidth settings from the 'bandwidth management and qos' menu. All of a sudden I got the full advertised speed, even a little more. Since I want to use bandwidth management I have to set the values. Therefore I decided to set those to 100/20 but now I only got something like 80/15. I kept increasing the values incrementally. The values are now set to 140/30 and I get a little more than what the ISP is promising.

At least in our case it seems as if 'Bandwidth Management and QoS' decreases the advertised internet bandwidth by about 20%. Which is not quite what the article I mentioned says.

Feature, bug or configuration error?

I also would like to add that the CPU utilization is usually low (around 10%).
  •  
UnifiedTechs-Brian

Playing around I noticed this also, will look into it more when I have some time.

- Brian
Kerio Preferred Partner, Reseller & Hosting Provider
Unified Technology Solutions
  •  
Kerio Blue

Why isn't this an automated process in Kerio, i.e. why isn't there a routine which determines the bandwidth and sets the values accordingly maybe once a day or once a week?

Also, I do not understand why even if I use fixed (absolute) values (e.g. 5Mbit/2Mbits) instate of relative (percentage) values the bandwidth values need to be set?
Previous Topic: Logical and between traffic(s) in bandwidth management
Next Topic: {vpnRpc} TinyDB RPC Client connection failed: 61
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Mar 26 22:52:25 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00907 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.