Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Delegation setup
  •  
BudDurland

Send a private message to this user
Trying to figure this out from the help file has stymied me, so please use small words that I can understand. We are using KC 8.2.x

My CEO just hired a new executive assistant, and wants to set her as a delegate for reading new mail and processing his calendar events. He is using OutLook 2007 with the offline connector, and I can't find the setting for delegation. In my Outlook 2010, it's right on the toolbar/ribbon.

Also, from testing, it appears that he needs to both set her as a delegate to give her Inbox access, then also share his calendar with her. Is that correct?

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
ksnyder

Some improvements have been made to delegation since 8.2.x. Was there something specific in http://kb.kerio.com/1505 that was confusing and could use improvement?

An alternative would be for the CEO to delegate to the new Exec Admin using Webmail client: http://kb.kerio.com/1493

Ken Snyder
  •  
BudDurland

Well, KB1505 is fine if you are using word 2010 or newer. In this case, the CEO is using Office 2007. We eventually found how to create delegates there (Tools/Options/Delegates tab).

However, now there is a new issue -- the Admin assistant has received the delegation from both the CEO and the CFO. She sees their inboxes just fine, but calendars only display a free-busy style of block. She does not see the meeting title or any details, nor can she add an appointment to their calendar.

To accurately duplicate the issue, I had one of my people use Outlook 2007 to make a delegate for her account. I am using Outlook 2010. I can accurately see all of her inbox, as well as he details of her calendar. So, in the case of the executive assistant, I have to think the problem is localized to her account. Anyone have any advice?

--Mammy Yokum
  •  
ksnyder

Has the Admin been granted Reader, Editor, or Owner rights for the Calendar? As a side note - a delegate cannot create or view/edit the private events of another user.

Ken Snyder
  •  
BudDurland

Ah. I thought being a delegate implied editor rights to the calendar. So, the CEO needs to share his calendar with the admin & grant edit rights?

--Mammy Yokum
  •  
ksnyder

There is some permission granularity. See attached image.

Ken Snyder
  •  
BudDurland

Which is fine, unless you are using Outlook (there's a few of us), or are using version 8.2 of Connect.

I have a hard time selling the concept of "some things can be done in Outlook, but you really have to use Webmail to do it right" to the people who sign my paycheck. To them, either it works in Outlook, or it doesn't work at all.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 December 2014 22:39]

--Mammy Yokum
  •  
ksnyder

Sorry - was meant to be an example since I don't have Outlook 2007 at my disposal. I've offered a screen-shot of Outlook 2011 for Mac which is the best I can do to help. Perhaps someone with Outlook 2007 can chime in?

In any event, when granting permissions to a calendar, you must specify the access rights regardless of the client/environment. Just think about it: CEO wants all employees to see his/her free-busy schedule, but not all of the actual event details (topics, attendees, etc.). For an Admin the CEO may wish to grant more access/control. It's not a one-size-fits all scenario. So you absolutely MUST grant the access level...especially for a CEO.

Ken Snyder
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

BudDurland wrote on Wed, 03 December 2014 21:48
Ah. I thought being a delegate implied editor rights to the calendar. So, the CEO needs to share his calendar with the admin & grant edit rights?

It does.
CEO does not need to add additional access rights to the calendar.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

BudDurland wrote on Wed, 03 December 2014 22:38
Which is fine, unless you are using Outlook (there's a few of us), or are using version 8.2 of Connect.

I have a hard time selling the concept of "some things can be done in Outlook, but you really have to use Webmail to do it right" to the people who sign my paycheck. To them, either it works in Outlook, or it doesn't work at all.

It does work in Outlook the same way as in Kerio Connect client.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

BudDurland wrote on Wed, 03 December 2014 21:02
Well, KB1505 is fine if you are using word 2010 or newer. In this case, the CEO is using Office 2007. We eventually found how to create delegates there (Tools/Options/Delegates tab).

However, now there is a new issue -- the Admin assistant has received the delegation from both the CEO and the CFO. She sees their inboxes just fine, but calendars only display a free-busy style of block. She does not see the meeting title or any details, nor can she add an appointment to their calendar.

To accurately duplicate the issue, I had one of my people use Outlook 2007 to make a delegate for her account. I am using Outlook 2010. I can accurately see all of her inbox, as well as he details of her calendar. So, in the case of the executive assistant, I have to think the problem is localized to her account. Anyone have any advice?

I think we need to see a screenshot. Also make sure that both users wre using the same version of Outlook. Accessing the same folder from different Outlook versions could be tricky.
  •  
Bud Durland

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Wed, 03 December 2014 18:28

(Earlier message)
It does.
CEO does not need to add additional access rights to the calendar.

I think we need to see a screenshot. Also make sure that both users wre using the same version of Outlook. Accessing the same folder from different Outlook versions could be tricky.

I will ask her to take and send a screen shot. Unfortunately, she is a couple of states away, and we're past normal business hours. I should have it early tomorrow, though.

i agree that they should be on the same version of Office (we will be updating the CEO's machine in a couple weeks). However, an identical environment is working completely as expected here, so I'm inclined to think it's a client side problem.

•  
BudDurland

Pavel Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Wed, 03 December 2014 18:28

Screen shot attached. We have confirmed that when Kimberly clicks 'Delegation' in the Kerio COnnect menu, Brian and Robert show up in the area 'people I am a delegate for'

• Attachment: Calendar.png
    (Size: 102.00KB, Downloaded 185 times)

--Mammy Yokum
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Those two calendars are not from delegation. I don't know how they were added. Shared (delegated) calendar is only the last one. It is always named "Calendar - username". Have the user to check that calendar. She should see whole events there.
  •  
BudDurland

Once I actually looked at the screen shot I saw it. yay!. Thanks for the help!

--Mammy Yokum
Previous Topic: Trouble with Apple Messages ....Configuring Adium?
Next Topic: Missing Calendar Panels on the Left side in Kerio Connect Client
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 18:46:20 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00597 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.