Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Public Folder Problems
  •  
pkpowell

Send a private message to this user
We have a situation here where for those of us who use Apple Mail.app outside our office network, the app downloads all public folders.
In my case the subscription list is empty. I have deleted and recreated my account on my laptop a few times, but the list remains empty.
My desktop at the office doesn't exhibit this behaviour, and as far as I can tell, the computers were all set up using the "Integration with Mac" link in Kerio Connect client.
A solution to this problem would be great, as this can severely affect our upload bandwidth and local diskspace.

Cheers
Phil
  •  
Vicky Tripp (Kerio)

Hi Philip,

Is the Apple Mail configured to use an Exchange account? If it is then remove it and add it manually as an IMAP account. As we had another user on here recently that was having a similar issue because they had an Exchange account instead of an IMAP account.

All the best,
Vicky

Vicky Tripp
Kerio Technical Support Engineer
  •  
pkpowell

Hey Vicky

Thanks for your reply.
No, the affected systems are set up with imap.
I have since experimented with Exchange, which solves the constant downloading issue, but appears to do away with public folders entirely.

I'll try to clarify (my original post does seem a bit vague).

Currently Mail.app (and also Airmail.app and MS Exchange, if I remember correctly) does the following:
On computers outside of our network Mail.app will download all public folders, and not offer a choice of subscription (empty subscription list).
This means that if someone leaves Mail.app open any length of time, it will try to download over 60GB of data for our public folders.

What I'd expect to see happen is Mail.app populating the subscription list and only downloading marked folders. Possibly this is a Mail.app issue?

Here are our Kerio stats:

Version: 8.3.4 patch 1 (3377)
Operating system: Mac OS X (10.8.5), x86_64

Cheers
Phil
  •  
Vicky Tripp (Kerio)

Hi Phil,

On Apple Mail 10.9 and 10.10 sadly Apple have taken Public folder subscription away. With Apple Mail in 10.9 and 10.10 it will sync all the public folders by default and you cannot pick and choose which ones to sync sadly.

If you want an email client that will let you choose which public folders to sync then you can use Mozilla ThunderBird as you can pick and choose the Public Folders from there.

I hope this helps,
Vicky

Vicky Tripp
  •  
pkpowell

Oh wow, that's weird. It does explain why we only saw it happen on machines outside the office - most of our office macs are still on 10.8.5.
Any idea why apple did that, and why they in their infinite wisdom left the subscription list if they're not planning to use it?

I gave Thunderbird a whirl and it seems to behave, but it also seems like a bit of a challenge to configure compared to mail.app. Not sure I can force that on my coworkers just yet.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help.

Cheers
Phil
  •  
Vicky Tripp (Kerio)

Hi Phil,

As far as I know Apple have not commented on why they removed that functionality or if it was even meant to happen.

Thunderbird is a little different but once you have configured a couple of times its not that bad. I really like ThunderBird as a free email client.

All the best,
Vicky

Vicky Tripp
  •  
pkpowell

Hey Vicky

Thanks for your help.

A new problem has surfaced here where some of us see all emails when performing a search in apple mail. So a private email sent form person A to person B is searchable for person C, which obviously is a bit of a problem.
In one case person C had "Archive Folders" rights ticked in KerioConnect Admin, and his search returned to normal once I removed that. But in another case person C had no such rights enabled. Do you know what's going on here? Should I start a new thread?
Cheers
Phil
Previous Topic: Errors
Next Topic: Kerio connect migrate to Linux server windows 2003
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Feb 26 06:28:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01031 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.