Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Breaking the @Bandwidth Management and QoS
  •  
sorat

Send a private message to this user
At evening, when lots of people lean on bandwidth, there are these funny messages start appearing more and more in debug log, sometimes hundreds of similiar lines, like:

[DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS]{pktdrop} packet dropped: bandwidth limiter failed to enqueue packet {...}
[DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS]{pktdrop} packet dropped: bandwidth limiter failed to enqueue packet {...}

(repeats 100-200 times every other second)

Test 1) If you delete all rules in Bandwidth Management, messages don't appear anymore.
Test 2) If create several rules, involving traffic rules thru which majority of data siphons, then "failed to enqueue packet" starts again. No visible change in CPU load tho.

I think most probable reason for this behaviour is unoptimized or slow code implementing Kerio's QoS module, but maybe its something else, who knows?

Question to all people who cares, do you also have this problem?
(To check, go to "Debug", right click, Messages..., then check option "Packets dropped for some reason")

Question to Kerio folks, do you have data from tests on how many throughput QoS module can handle?

•  
rjokl

Dropping packet when buffer is full is normal, it is natural part of bandwidth management. Read e.g. here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping

Regards,
Roman
  •  
sorat

As a foreword, sending people to wikipedia is assumption of lowest common denominator and considered bad manners in the least.
And seeing this approach in tech forum, where no blondies discussing the nuances of new nail polish, even more unsightl.

As for topic: no, the subject of question is other.
Its about linux netfilter nfqueue, some implementation of which, I suspect, kerio control using on packets decision in its QoS code.
This brings additional question to first-hand developers: do you have single-threaded, multicore optimisations, or some other factor at play there altogether?

Btw, tests held showed the protocol inspector suffers same problem, but disabled already everywhere in my installation, except few rules, as it chokes and breaks way faster with worse aftereffects.
This issue is a serious bottleneck, given heavy load scenarios, though, I might add, kerio is still holding strong, unlike some othere firewalls, for example #untangle, that first drops heavily, then runs out of all system memory (had 18GB) and hangs miserably.
  •  
UnifiedTechs-Brian

Sorat,

Bad manners is putting down someone trying to offer you help!

Your question would cause any reasonable tech to assume you have little understanding of what Bandwidth Management does. (Hint: it manages your bandwidth by, lol and behold, dropping packets when traffic gets too high.)

Good luck getting free help from fellow techs with that attitude.

- Brian
Kerio Preferred Partner, Reseller & Hosting Provider
Unified Technology Solutions
  •  
sorat

I already said, that idea about 'its dropping packets cuz its what bandwidth management does, u silly' plainly wrong.

It is evident, because if one did actually went see for himself what i've asked about, he would realise those are exception messages,
otherwise there would be nothing but QoS just reporting regulating speed all the time (which of course is not the case in reality).

Then why you repeat same nonsense again?

@Any reasonable tech
Of which you do not belong, obviously.

Sending to wikipedia, accusations of dumb question and little undestanding...
Sad day for a community like this.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

sorat wrote on Sat, 20 December 2014 08:17
I already said, that idea about 'its dropping packets cuz its what bandwidth management does, u silly' plainly wrong.

You have obviously a brilliant idea of traffic shaping without dropping a single packet. I am interested how you would like to reduce 10Mbit UDP traffic to 1Mbit internet line without dropping a single packet. Please tell me.
Packet dropping is a standard method of traffic shaping.

If you are concerned about messages in the debug log, please disable them. They are for debugging purpose only and in fact, thorough debugging of everything costs you some performance.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 December 2014 09:50]

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Technical support: http://www.kerio.com/support
------------------
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
sorat

Okay, did a thorough testing, this time in fully isolated environment.
And results explicitly showed that IT IS a standart message for shaper, yes.
While I (wrongly) was confident that those were exceptions thrown.

My intention was simply to bring possible overlooked problem to light, and if confirmed by others, help target and repair it, thus improving quality of KControl.
So I apologize to you guys, rjokl, UnifiedTechs and Pavel Dobry. I was hastly incorrect this time.

Will continue looking further into matter of why there are some odd issues with unstability of packets under high load.
The topic may be closed.
Previous Topic: Dual WAN Separate Connection
Next Topic: Control Dynamic Block List Subscription
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Feb 22 04:54:54 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01189 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.