Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Using Kerio as an archive destination
  •  
reverent

Send a private message to this user
We currently have a Kerio Connect email server in production that is working well. We are thinking about setting up an additional Kerio Connect email server as a single purpose single mailbox archive server that will receive emails from our production server via the "Archive to the remote email address" option under the archiving tab. This email server would be completely separate and not connected to the Internet.

In essence, this email server would have one single mailbox to which all of our archived emails would be sent via smtp.

My questions are:

1. If we send all of our archived emails to this new Kerio Connect email server, can Kerio Connect handle 1.5 Million emails per year for 5 years in a single mailbox? This would be at least 7.5 to 8 Million emails in a single mailbox at all times.

2. What is the upper message limit per mailbox that Kerio can handle? Since it uses a flat file system, is the limitation based on the underlying file system or is there a certain limit where Kerio begins to badly degrade?

3. Can Kerio index 8 Million+ emails in for a single mailbox so we can full text search through them?

4. If our archive server is offline for patches, reboots, etc. does it just miss the archived emails sent from our production server or would our production server retry sending them once the archive server is back up in accordance with our existing outgoing smtp rules?

5. For this many files in a single folder, I realize file system choice will be important. We were planning on using Ubuntu Server 14.04LTS with a RAID1 SSD datastore, but didn't know if at 8+ million files in a single directory whether anyone had any real world experience between the performance of NTFS and EXT4 with regards to really large mailboxes in Kerio connect. I honestly hope nobody has a user with even close to that number of emails, but I know CEO's will be CEO's.

I realize I may have to open a ticket with Kerio directly to get the best answers, but I would love to hear anyone's experiences.

Some might wonder why we would want to do this. First of all, we do not really like how Kerio currently archives locally as we can't easily search all of the archived folders at the same time using the web client. There are workarounds for it, such as using a real email client, but we prefer to use the web client. We have to research and pull data out of archive at least once per week, and often we are given barely helpful information such as "we are pretty sure it was sent sometime in the past three years".

I also know there are other products out there that can do this for us, and we might try them, but since our staff is very familiar with Kerio, and the costs are low, we thought maybe having a Kerio archive research server would be a nice fit for our company.

•  
BudDurland

I strongly suspect that there is no way you will be happy with this solution. Performance issues will be the main problem, among others. There are so many other choices that are easy to implement. We use MailArchiva on Premise here, and are very happy with performance, low overhead, low maintenance, and reasonable cost. We installed it about two years ago, and had it scan and archive the existing Kerio connect mail store. After that, it fetches new messages via POP3 from it's own mailbox. We effectively have 6 years of data (about 4.2 million messages) stored in about 300GB. The message count is lower than the actual mail traffic because the system does single instance storage.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 January 2015 20:54]

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
reverent

well I guess my search methods were lacking earlier because I just did a search for maximum and found this

http://forums.kerio.com/mv/msg/26650/110580/#msg_110580

which seems to recommend less than 10,000 messages per folder.

We do have a few users with 100,000+ messages all in their inbox and Kerio has been working well, but if the recommendation is 10,000 per folder, I guess this isn't going to work.

Previous Topic: Tasks reminder
Next Topic: Centos 7 sendmail command line using alternatives
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 02:31:30 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00431 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.