Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » managing attachments (looking for tips, best-practices and strategies for managing attached files)
  •  
monkeymissile

Send a private message to this user
Hello All,
I am hoping to tap into the vast collective experiences here in order to develop an email attachment management strategy for our office.
We're a design firm with a roughly 40/60 split between Macs and PCs; email is the default means of info exchange with our clients despite easy access to the drop-ship feature of our FTP server (Rumpus) which people do use to send large sizes since I implemented an email attachment limit.

We use Outlook for both platforms. Interestingly, Outlook 2011 for the Macs will keep a record of any attachments deleted from an email which is very handy. Sadly, this feature doesn't seem to exist with Outlook 2010 for Windows; you can delete the attachment, but no record of it is maintained as far as I know.

In our workflow, a group of designers is often copied on incoming emails with attachments. One designer from that group is tasked with downloading the attachments to our server. However, nobody from the group then deletes the attachments for their copy of the email so we end up with multiple duplicate attachments and unnecessarily large email files clogging up Kerio. Likewise, people don't delete attachment from emails they've sent for fear of losing record of what was sent and when.

I am curious if others struggle with this scenario and how you deal with or have solved it.

What I am looking for is a simple way for deleted attachments to be tracked so we can maintain a record of the transaction.

I can imagine a plug-in that would take the file names of any attached files and append the outgoing email with that data, like a footer, so that then the sender could delete the attachments after sending without fear.
Likewise, this tool would somehow do the same when deleting attachments from incoming email (like Outlook 2011 currently does) before filing it in one of our public folders.

Is there a third-party tool or just a different workflow to achieve this? I'm all ears.

thanks for your time!
Justin
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

monkeymissile wrote on Thu, 22 January 2015 20:13

In our workflow, a group of designers is often copied on incoming emails with attachments. One designer from that group is tasked with downloading the attachments to our server. However, nobody from the group then deletes the attachments for their copy of the email so we end up with multiple duplicate attachments and unnecessarily large email files clogging up Kerio. Likewise, people don't delete attachment from emails they've sent for fear of losing record of what was sent and when.

I am curious if others struggle with this scenario and how you deal with or have solved it.

Based on my experience I never send attachments by email now. Everything is stored on Samepage, other users can update the document, post notes and I have full history of all document versions there.
So maybe using a good solution for document management and collaboration could fix our problem. Simply move your big attachments to a product which is designed for it. Email isn't.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Technical support: http://www.kerio.com/support
------------------
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
monkeymissile

Pavel,
While that IS a good idea, we work with hundreds of firms and I doubt they all will be willing to join a team, since most are already using something like Newforma already.
And as I mentioned, our FTP setup works great for sending large files, but our primary issue is handling incoming files.
  •  
ComputerBudda

•  
Previous Topic: List of inactive Accounts
Next Topic: Distribution groups and Outlook without KOC
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Feb 22 22:55:58 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03027 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.