Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to stop mails from non local domain to be sent to a group ?
  •  
forum69

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

Mails from non local domain are sent to local domain groups.

How to avoid that such mails are sent to groups ?

I don't see no such option.

Thank,

lv.
  •  
McIrish

I'd love if there was a way to stop that too. We had to go with mailing lists to stop some of it. Not the best way at all but it was the only way I could stop outside senders from mailing the entire company.
  •  
ksnyder (KERIO)

Groups are primarily to be used for setting permission and access rights. Mail Lists should be used to assemble a list of recipients that can be addressed by a single email address.

Mail Lists offer granular posting policy settings.

Ken Snyder
Director, Sales Engineering | Kerio
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
McIrish

I can't speak for forum69 but in our case, we use AD for all security and distribution. It's unfortunate that Kerio doesn't have any way to filter out non-domain senders when mailing a domain group that is defined in AD.
  •  
Bud Durland

While on this topic... We recently merged one of two domains into our mail domain, with the other in the works. We have mail lists set up for various target audiences, but I am quite often asked "who's on that list?" I'd like it if there was some way for folks to get that in a self-service way.

However, lists don't always solve the topic problem. If I create a list with 50 out of my 350 users on it, to allow folks who are not on the list to post to it I have to set it to "allow non members to post", which then allows folks outside the domain to post to the list.

I've thought about using distribution groups inside the Global Address Book for smaller (<20 users) groups, but I'm unclear about housekeeping. If someone in a distribution group in the GAB is removed from the system, is their address removed from the group as well? It is removed from standard user groups, and from mailing lists, but what happens to distro groups is unclear..

•  
KCAP

We use also the AD AD for all security and distribution, so also for groups in Kerio to send mails to (sales department for example). This is really easy and clear that the AD users groups are the same as the kerio mail groups.
But indeed people can send mail from outside our domain (SPAM also), that is really annoying.
I created a spam rule, so all incoming mails send to that group is deleted as spam (and internal isn't checked so will be send). This works as long the group-mail adress isn't listed as BCC then the spam rule cannot detect it anymore.

It would really be a good thing if Kerio has a option to disable getting mail from outside your domain for mail-groups

[Updated on: Wed, 11 February 2015 09:35]

Teun
KCAP [NL]
  •  
Radek Sip (Kerio)

Bud Durland wrote on Mon, 09 February 2015 20:17
We have mail lists set up for various target audiences, but I am quite often asked "who's on that list?" I'd like it if there was some way for folks to get that in a self-service way.

It solves our Kerio Administration API.
http://www.kerio.cz/learn-community/developer-zone/details#k erioconnect

Membership in mailing lists is one of our examples on Kerio Dev Zone.
http://demo.kerio.com/kerio-api-php/examples/connect/getMail inglistMembers.php

•  
forum69

Hello Ken,

Looking at the mailing lists options, there is no way to disallow someone to post if not belonging to the domain.

It looks like to me that mailing lists do not resolve our problem.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 February 2015 14:55]

•  
ksnyder (KERIO)

Got it. On top of that, the Group settings offer an option for users to send/receive within their domain only. And that won't work because you need the members to be able to send as normal.

Here's something that might work for you. The example assumes my group name is Sales and has an email address of sales<_at_>domain.com

1. Create an alias for sales@domain.com such as sales+company@domain.com and specify the recipient to be sales<_at_>domain.com
2. In Spam Filter, create a custom rule that looks at the To: header. If the recipient is sales<_at_>domain.com, then add a spam score to it.
3. Coach the internal/legitimate users to send to sales+company<_at_>domain.com or whatever alias you create

Mail sent to sales+company<_at_>domain.com will successfully reach recipients
Mail sent to sales<_at_>domain.com will be captured by the spam filter if you bump the score enough

ALTERNATIVELY, if you have a very small number of members in that group, each user could build a filter rule such as the one I've included in the screen-shot.

Hope this helps.

Ken Snyder
Director, Sales Engineering | Kerio
Previous Topic: Is it Possible to synchronize from client to server?
Next Topic: Does this work? Reinstalling the OS ....
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Jan 24 06:03:38 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01428 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.