Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Change primary email domain (Renaming primary email domain)
  •  
VWAdministrator

Send a private message to this user
We need to change our primary domain but keep access to emails in our current domain.

I've read through some posts and think I get the idea that if we rename our current domain to the new one the current domain will become an alias of the new domain.

To test how this works in practice I've created a few alias domain within our current domain but cannot seem to find where I might be able to access emails that might sent to these alias addresses.

Or does email sent to an alias appear within the users primary mailbox automatically. Then when replying to an alias it has a reply address of the primary domain?

Something like:
Primary domain:- <_at_>Domain1.com
alias domain:- <_at_>Domain2.co.uk

Wmail sent to joe@Domain2.co.uk would appear in mailbox joe<_at_>Domain1.com,
when replying the return to address would be joe<_at_>Domain1.com

Any clarification would be much appreciated before I implement the changes.

Thank you
Ian
  •  
Vicky

Hi Ian,

When you rename a domain all the users will automatically get the email address of <_at_>domain1.com and they will also be able to receive email that comes to their username<_at_>domain2.co.uk (which is the domain alias).

All email coming into them, regardless of which email address the email comes in on will arrive in their Inbox of their email account on the primary domain.

When replying by default Kerio will use the primary email address as the sending address but if the user wants to be able to use another address then they will need to configure their email client to do this.

I hope this helps a bit,
Vicky
  •  
VWAdministrator

Thanks for the reply Vicky.

I took the first steps in implementing the change on Friday but have a problem which I'll try to explain.

We have recently become three sites in the UK plus three sites in Europe, each site has it's own (different) local email server but will be using the same Domain name (domain2.com). Email sent to this domain are going to an Exchange Server setup in a data centre. This Exchange Server is then doing an LDAP look up across the sites to discover the location of the recipient.

I've not yet changed our primary Domain to domain1.com but added it as an alias to our current domain of domain2.co.uk. This was to prove the LDAP look up to our site and we could receive email (using domain1.com) into the correct recipients mailbox. This set up works fine for incoming emails to both domains.

The problem I have is: if I leave the outgoing SMTP connection via Proofpoint (our current route) I can send emails to the new domain (domain1.com). BUT central IT want me to send emails back to the central Exchange Server.

So... I set up the route using 'If recipient was not found in this domain, forward the message to another host' and entering the ip address of the host. When this is configured any emails sent to domain1.com do not leave our Kerio Email server they end up in my catchall mailbox.

I also changed the SMTP Delivery to 'Deliver directly using DNS MX records' so that any emails would not go out via Proofpoint, but this has had no effect.

To be on the safe side I have installed the latest update over the weekend 8.4.1 (3789)...

Hope the above is clearer than mud...

Any help would be appreciated.
  •  
clan

I would guess that this:

Quote:
I set up the route using 'If recipient was not found in this domain, forward the message to another host' and entering the ip address of the host.

will have no effect if all mail for non-local users ends up in a catchall mailbox.
  •  
VWAdministrator

I think your correct that the forwarding to another host is not having any effect. But why is something I'm trying to discover, I must be missing something somewhere within the settings.

I don't want to change our primary domain if this rule is having no effect while the new domain name is an alias of our current domain.
  •  
VWAdministrator

Just noticed a typo in my previous decriptionVWAdministrator wrote on Sun, 15 February 2015 22:45

We have recently become three sites in the UK plus three sites in Europe, each site has it's own (different) local email server but will be using the same Domain name (domain2.com). Email sent to this domain are going to an Exchange Server setup in a data centre. This Exchange Server is then doing an LDAP look up across the sites to discover the location of the recipient.

To make more sense of the description (domain2.com) should be (domain1.com).

Please forgive me... it was late on Sunday night when I posted the entry...
  •  
clan

Maybe I should have phrased my answer differently: if you have a catchall mailbox on your server there is always a local user, so there is nothing to forward. Disabling the catchall should help.
  •  
VWAdministrator

Many thanks for the clarification and disabling the Catchall account fixes the problem

I was assuming the Catchall came into effect after the forwarding rule but thinking about it of course it can't as how would our mail server know if the recipient does not exist on the other servers. The catchall has to be on the Central mail Server...

I feel a bit of an idiot not thinking that one through correctly.

Thanks again for your help.
  •  
VWAdministrator

Sorry for being a bit of a wet lettuce with this change of Domain name but central IT want me to run a full test before going live next week.

They want me to change the domain name to the new domain run a few emails through to different Servers. Then if all is well change back to our old address until the official switch over day.

I understand that when I change the domain name our current domain becomes an alias of the new domain. To change back I will have to delete the alias of our current domain before reverting to our current setup. Then on the official switch over day change our domain name again.

Will this multiple change of domain name have any effect on the mail stored in our current domain?

Thank you in anticipation.
Previous Topic: iCal events created on iPhone not editable on Desktop
Next Topic: Question regarding GAL
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 10:15:24 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00455 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.