Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » To 5.x or 6.x ? That is the question
  •  
DrFix

Send a private message to this user
Ok. First post here. I've been using the 6.0 demo for a few weeks and have been impressed with its speed while on the local network but when logging in and using the web mail feature remotely it is a tad sluggish. (either on 10.2.8 or 10.3.4 for OSX) I haven't tried the previous version in this manner so I can't comment on what others claim is a speed problem. Since there are vendors still selling 5.6 out in the world would it be better to simply get the older one and upgrade once the bugs/performance issues are ironed out or bite the bullet and sit still for the next update/release?
  •  
waltspar

5.x is fine - pretty smoooth all around. I like the interace introduced in Kerio 6.z, but the performance could be detrimental to your job if your in IT. I have had nightmares for the last couple weeks since the upgrade and wish I had stuck with 5.x for a little bit longer. I have a coupel clients that I do on the side and I am running in to issues with their setup as well. If I could go back, I would.
  •  
tek_san

depends on what you need.
I do not need AD or OD integration, webmail is due to OS 9 not possible and our only few OS X Users like the webmail and do not complain about speed.
I did not have an Exchange Server to migrate from and there are only 10 PCs running OE as IMAP Clients. They do well.

Our 150 IMAP Users like the new built in notification system about the mailbox being filled up.
We use mostly Entourage for OS 9 and mail for OS X. Both apps work fine with KMS.
I do not recognize any significant change in the spam filtering. Bu that is because we rely heavily on blacklists and they do a lot of filtering (almost two thirds are blocked...)
I like the new admin interface, we are running KMS 6.0.1 on a PC and it did not crash a single time, so there is no fuzz with stability.
I understand a lot of users are complaining about speed and features of webmail. I also liked the simple but more featurepacked 5.x interface better, but as we do not rely on... I do not care.

hope this helps a bit

oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
waltspar

One issue with the OE users is the inability to Map to shared folders - only Public. The OE Extensions program is no longer integrated in 6.x. For us that is an issue because 25 of our 40 users use OE and the size of our Public Folder structure has all but killed the KMS 6.x server. I am working on a way to migrate it and still allow users to map to the folders.

You mentioned running KMS on a PC - what are the specs. 150 users seems like a lot - we have only 15, but I am very concerned with performance as the server goes CPU nuts right now whenever a client does a query or a Webmail user logs in and our server is no slouch. (Win2k/1800mhz/512meg/RAID5)
  •  
tek_san

150 seems to be average, but who knows ;-)
We have a compaq proliant 320 with 2 mirrored IDE drives with 80 gb capacity.
RAM is 1GB and it is running win2000 server. It has a 2.6 Ghz single Pentium CPU. It has one active network interface with 100mbit full duplex.
There are no other services running. To me it seems that the IDE discs could be faster, as RAM is not an issue on an IMAP Mailserver but discspeed is.

But although( see http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=2611&star t=0&S=5290f004a135ca45e4a784c2edc73dbc&SQ=c26e0b1847 adf2d62d55606b432fbe37)

speed is only 2.5 mbytes/sec it is still no issue.
We keep on thinking about changing to SCSI drives just be on the safe side...

How big are your mailboxes?
Our quato varies from 128 Mbytes - 320 GB (most) to 2GB (only a few).

regards

Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
waltspar

Our RAID5 is using (4) 7200rpm Serial ATA drives and seems pretty quick. When we first did the upgrade from two mirrored drives last year with KMS 5, I actually recieved some comments on how much faster the Mail server was.

We have very few users that are maxed on Quotas, most are capped at 500meg or 2gig, but most never reach that or even come close. Our entire Mail Store is around 18gig with most of that being in the current public structure.

I am running Diskkeeper (a recent addition) and have been watching the CPU utilization - I am thinking we may need to bump the CPU. The sad thing is that this was not really an issue with version 5. We had a few users complain, but they were just adjusting form the old POP to IMAP change - and some people are never happy. Connecting with IE will cause a workstation to lockup. I have changed everyone to Mozilla that regularly access webmail. Kerio says it is our Public folder structure that is causing the delay in Webmail. We have about 1500 project folders and Kerio adds another 3000 to that with a #assoc and #msgs folder for each of our folders. I know of atleast one fellow IT person that has a similar setup in Exchange and it does not have speed issues. I am currently working out a way to move Public folders to shared folders to increase Webmail speed for users not requireing to be mapped to all of the project folders.
  •  
DrFix

Ok... I found an older 5.7 install for OSX and used a clean test server to try it out. So far its speedy on the local network without any of the graphic eye candy that version 6 includes nor calendaring. I guess I got spoiled with the new version when it comes to the interface but the older version is quite functional. Will try some remote testing tomorrow.

For you fellows running Kerio on Windows servers I'm surprised that there should be the problems you're having. A Notes server, as an exampl, would bring machines to their knees in no time and Kerio should not require that kind of overhead. A striped RAID array would be beneficial but that adds more complexity than even I like. The cheap and dirty upgrade would be simply faster drives.
  •  
waltspar

Ading a RAID 5 on Windows is pretty easy anymore. I added a Serial ATA setup using a Promise SX5 RAID 5 card and (4) 7200rpm drives in a RAID enclosure from ASWAP - I think the whole setup cost less then $700 for 240gig total size. RAID 5 is gonna blow away any fast single drives. Plus backups or not having a drive fail in an Email server in our company (and most I would think) would be very bad news. The RAID five just continuies to run and you replace the drive while it is still going.
Previous Topic: Folder Sharing issues in 6.x
Next Topic: Some warning messages
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 11:23:13 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00422 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.