Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Kerio Control SW-Appliance Installation (Control install via serial cable?)
  •  
trisse

Send a private message to this user
Hi!

I have some custom Hardware here (an APU1D4 http://www.pcengines.ch/apu1d4.htm) which is realy cool. Installing the Software-Appliance causes me trouble, because this barebone-system done have a VGA-Port and i think the Control-Image assumes the availability of output via VGA. The barebone only got a serial port.. after booting the image, nothing happens on screen. (i am connected via serial cable, via putty)

refering to this thread http://forums.kerio.com/t/20999/? back in 2011, the question is still unsolved. this guy seems trying to do what i want to do now.

What to do?

a) Is anyone in knowledge of a so called serial-image of kerio control? Other FW-Solutions offer seperate images (e.g. one for VGA-hardware, other for HW that is only capable of output via serial)

b) might it possible to do the initial installation on different Hardware and then putting the HDD back to my APU1D4-Box?

c) might there be an unattended-image auf Kerio control? (like "booting this image, leave it alone for x minutes, there you go")

d) Does anyone have a solution for me? Kerio cannot be for real when there is no possibility to run their FW on custom barebone-boxes!

Greetings from ger.

[Updated on: Mon, 02 March 2015 08:53]

•  
trisse

Ok i tried something..

- installed Kerio Control in a VirtualBox VM
- used vboxmanage.exe from virtualbox install-folder to build a raw-image of the virtual HDD
(vboxmanage clonehd --format RAW kerio_control.vdi output.raw)
- used USBWriter to burn that image to a USB-Stick
- i am able to boot kerio control from that usb stick!

That was just a test but that seems good so far.
Once i get my mSATA to USB adapter, i try to burn that raw-image to the mSATA-SSD in my APU1D4 bare-bone. I will than check if it boots and recognizes all hardware/LAN ports and so on and post my result.
As i said, i installed Kerio control in a virtual machine, which has completely different hardware. Other CPU (INTEL / AMD) other chipset, other LAN controller and so on.
I don't know how sensitive Linux is, when it comes to putting a preinstalled HDD into an totally different System. Most of the time, windows (7/8) is fine with such a thing, and tomorrow i will see if Linux behaves the same way. (recognition of different HW, and so on)

I am ok with it, when it works - but seriously this procedure cannot be that designated way when someone just wants to run Kerio Control on hardware without capability of printing to the user via VGA. sigh

[Updated on: Mon, 02 March 2015 11:55]

•  
burghy

hello, I have a apu with 2 gigs of ram
I tried your method but can not convert from raw to VHD.
you can upload your raw?
just loaded the boot, that IP address using the browser?
ethernet port that you use?

thanks a lot
  •  
trisse

Sorry.
Last time, said i would post my results.
here it is:

i was not able to boot the apu with my method.
at some point, the boot process stops. ich cannt see when and why, because the apu has no vga output.
i even tried to do the initial setup on an msata-ssd, to put the msata into the apu, aber without success. no ip, no webinterface, no nothing.
i went to another barebone wich runs since 6 months with kerio control great without problems!
This one: http://www.amazon.de/Jetway-BAREBONE-JBC372F36W-2600-B-11324 -Elektronik/dp/B009SDO0T2

I would like to hear from you when you find a way to bring kerio control to your APU, whitch was my first goal.
i wasnt able to manage it..

[Updated on: Thu, 28 May 2015 16:16]

•  
burghy

ok, i resolved. i have kerio control on my apu 2gb (with msata disc), use resque disk

[Updated on: Thu, 04 June 2015 08:50]

•  
swplan

Hey burghy,

did you use rescue disk on your cloned disk or on an empty disk?
  •  
burghy

an empty disk msata 16 gb
Previous Topic: Kerio VPN Client Error ver. 8.6
Next Topic: VPN Client Service not running
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Apr 30 07:10:09 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00368 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.