Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Archiving a emornous mailbox (300K messages)
  •  
bbja213

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

Have inherited a Kerio Connect server v7.2.3 on OSX 10.4 that is in disparate need of some tuning. Obviously both the OS and Kerio version need to be upgraded. However, the problem is that one mailbox have been set up to archive email (using "Remote Address" feature) and is about 230GB & 300,000 items(!)

Ideally we will move the server to a new machine, but probably best to do without this massive user account containing the mail archive as 1 kerio backups around 380GB total. Also will upgrade to latest Kerio version when server OS can allow this.

How would you fellow users recommend to archive this mailbox as safely as possible? (boss wants to keep the email archive in case we need it to refer it for contracts, etc).

I am thinking to maybe delete the user, then restore (from backup) the archive mailbox datas to another temporary server to archive off the mail? Or maybe to download with IMAP/POP and delete that way?

If deleting the user mailbox, does domain's "Deleted Items Recovery" keep this data in the server for 30/x days or is removed immediately?

Any suggestion much appreciation.

-Boris

[Updated on: Mon, 02 March 2015 16:40]

•  
Bud Durland

First, I would set up archiving to to use archive folders, rolled over at an appropriate interval.

The, use the web administrator to delete the big archive user, but do not remove the message folder from the server. Now use your favorite backup / zipping utility to copy the big archive box somewhere else. When that is done and verified, remove the folder from the Kerio mail store.

Now migrate to your new server using the appropriate tools. Unzip the monster mail box to the new server, and recreate the exact same user name in the admin utility. Ta-Da.
  •  
bbja213

Thankyou Bud, this sounds good.

Once the archive user is removed from Kerio user list, is it safe to do the zip/backup without stopping Kerio? And the delete too?

Have a strange problem where the System Preference just says "Could not stop Kerio connect"
Seems not just me.. forums.kerio.com/t/19969/can-t-stop-kerio-server-7-2-

But maybe hard to do if the server won't stop - will try it straight after restart and hope for luck.

thanks again very much.
  •  
Spacey

I recently moved from one MacMini (OS 10.7 I guess) to another (OS 10.10). Both MacMinis used a large SSD for storage - SSD provides fast access to everything. I used the Kerio backup feature and it worked well. Got about 500-600GB mailstorage at all.

I suggest that you set up the new machine and then try to import the full backup so everything should be the same on the new machine then on the old one. After moving you can think about what to do with the large mailbox - the SSD speed should help in any way!

•  
sfpete

Indeed, once you delete the user (leaving the store!), it's fine to zip or backup that user's folder with the server running. In no way would the server touch that folder.

The issue you are experiencing with the inability to stop the server was indeed quite prevalent in Kerio Connect 7.2.3. It is fixed and much better in the latest 8.4.x version.

With that said, you do need to stop your server from time to time... before upgrading.

I would try to stop it during non-peak hours.... late at night perhaps. If that doesn't work, try the command:

sudo /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer stop

Note, even then stopping can take _awhile_.

Previous Topic: Kerio webmail in iFrame
Next Topic: Calendar password not accepted
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 14:22:13 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00408 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.