Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » SMTP server problem sending to one domain
  •  
mac1_131

Send a private message to this user
I've been having a recurring problem sending to one particular domain.

When I do a SMTP server test on that domain, I do see performance problems. Connect time sometimes over 2 seconds and SMTP performance sometimes over 5 seconds. But other times it is OK. So I suspect that mail server is overloaded. Not my problem.

My question is if this is correct, is there any way to make kerio wait just a little longer?

The bounces I get are also funny. First bounce seems to be "host not found" from our server.

Then if you resend the message soon - in the next few minutes - the bounce turns into:

550-Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client, or login to the
550-IMAP/POP3 server before sending your message. mail.mydomain.com
550-[00.000.00.00]:44638 is not permitted to relay through this server without
550 authentication.)

which is crazy because the email was sent from the kerio connect web client and had nothing to do with pop3. I am guessing that the first timed out connect attempt made the receiving server think I was trying to be an open relay or a pop client when I was really a legit mail server.

seems like after you wait a while, then resend when the performance of the receiving server is better, it goes through fine. my guess here is the 15 minute window for send authentication period has passed and now it accepts me as a legit mail server again.

is there any way to make kerio's outgoing smtp server wait a little longer, if that is what my problem is?

the receiving mail servers are xo communications (concentric.com) which I think are known to have some performance issues. but if there is something I can do at my end to play better with them I want to do it because we send a lot of business email to this domain and I am getting yelled at by my users a lot.

thanks

[Updated on: Sun, 22 March 2015 17:28]

•  
SoundStylists

Hi All

Could someone please give us some feed back on this, I seem to be having the same issue

Some times it works and mails don't have any issues and then sometimes mail don't go through at all.

Thanks
  •  
clan

Even if you seem to have the same issue some more information, like log messages, would help. Enabling the SMTP server / client messages in the debug log should provide some hint on what is wrong.
  •  
SoundStylists

Let me see what I can get

thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 18 June 2015 10:36]

•  
SoundStylists

From mail log:

[17/Jun/2015 10:13:55] Sent: Queue-ID: 55812be5-00000d36, Recipient: <client_address>, Result: delayed, Status: 4.4.2 No greeting from remote host, Remote-Host: client_domain.co.za, Msg-Id: <D1A6F828.55AD1%internal_address>

Nothing found anywhere else but the mail log

Also found this:

[17/Jun/2015 11:15:42] Sent: Queue-ID: 55812be5-00000d36, Recipient: <client_address>, Result: relayed, Status: 2.0.0 , Remote-Host: client_domain.mail.protection.outlook.com, Msg-Id: <D1A6F828.55AD1%internal_address>
  •  
clan

SoundStylists wrote on Thu, 18 June 2015 11:24
[17/Jun/2015 10:13:55] Sent: Queue-ID: 55812be5-00000d36, Recipient: <client_address>, Result: delayed, Status: 4.4.2 No greeting from remote host, Remote-Host: client_domain.co.za, Msg-Id: <D1A6F828.55AD1%internal_address>

The server seems to be responding very slow, but without knowing the domain it is not easy to verify this. You could telnet to port 25 on the server and check for the greeting. Have you enabled the smtp messages in the debug log?

Quote:
[17/Jun/2015 11:15:42] Sent: Queue-ID: 55812be5-00000d36, Recipient: <client_address>, Result: relayed, Status: 2.0.0 , Remote-Host: client_domain.mail.protection.outlook.com, Msg-Id: <D1A6F828.55AD1%internal_address>

Nothing wrong with this one, this is a normal mail delivery.
  •  
SoundStylists

Have you enabled the smtp messages in the debug log

Thanks, I've looked for this and cant seem to find this option?

•  
clan

In the debug log window right-click and choose "messages" from the context menu. In the dialog opening select SMTP Client.
  •  
noise

Hi there

i have the same problem the message is relayed,

Result: relayed, Status: 2.0.0 , Remote-Host: mail-ch01e.mail.protection.outlook.com

the domain is not black listet, any helps ?

Problem is solved thx anyway

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2016 16:07]

Previous Topic: Two questions about upgrading KERIO
Next Topic: NO ATTACHMENT @ IPHONE
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Dec 02 20:47:55 CET 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03412 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.