Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to archive an KOC Offline edition mail box with Outlook ?
  •  
stephane.wierzbicki

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

My user mail box is about 26Gb and 100 000 items. This is far too much for Outlook.
I've tried to use Outlook build in archiving function but the resulting archive was empty !

How can I archive an KOC Offline account Under Outlook ?

•  
Lukas Petrlik (Kerio)

To be archived by Outlook, a message must satisfy two conditions:

1. The message must be cached locally in its entirety, including attachments.
2. Both the delivery time and the last modification time of the message must be older than the configured limit.

With the default settings, the first condition is met only in inbox, the other folders are downloading only headers and plaintext of their messages by default. KOFF also removes attachments older than 180 days by default. You can change the defaults, of course.

The last modification time of the messages can be changed e.g. by an antivirus or by an Outlook plugin that modifies messages.

These are just general hints because I do not know anything about your system, antivirus or Outlook/KOFF versions. If it does not help, I suggest you contact our technical support.
  •  
Bud Durland

So, unless the you want end users to do archiving in unrealistically short intervals, the default behavior accomplishes exactly bupkis. We use a registry tweak to automatically adjust the KOFF attachment interval to 2 years. We generally encourage everyone to archive after a year, but there are those that don't.

@Stephane -- In your predicament, it may be that the thing to do is delete and re-create the user's profile. That (I think) will cause all the messages, including attachments, to be re-downloaded to the local cache. Then, if you do the archiving quickly, it should work.
  •  
jonelli

@Brad - Can you share your registry tweak? I've run into this issue as well. Thanks.
  •  
Lukas Petrlik (Kerio)

Bud Durland wrote on Thu, 02 April 2015 19:55
So, unless the you want end users to do archiving in unrealistically short intervals, the default behavior accomplishes exactly bupkis.
You're right, the default KOFF settings are not suitable for Outlook autoarchiving - the intention was rather to reduce the size of the KOFF local database (the offline cache).

Quote:
We use a registry tweak to automatically adjust the KOFF attachment interval to 2 years.
The number of days before attachments are dropped from the cache can be set when creating a new email account in Outlook (you can find the setting in the "Synchronization Settings" tab), or at any later time in the settings of your email account (Control Panel -> "Mail" -> "Profiles" -> your profile -> "E-mail Accounts..." -> your account -> "Synchronization Settings"). The maximum number of days that can be set there is 9999, i.e. more than 27 years.

Quote:
<_at_>Stephane -- In your predicament, it may be that the thing to do is delete and re-create the user's profile.
To re-download entire messages to the KOFF cache, I would recommend the following procedure. First clear the cache from your email account settings ("Maintenance" tab -> "Empty cache").
Start Outlook, wait until the folder hierarchy appears, right-click on the mailbox name, click on the "Folder Synchronization" tab, and set both "Synchronize whole messages" and "Set also to all subfolders now".
  •  
Bud Durland

jonelli wrote on Mon, 06 April 2015 23:55
<_at_>Brad - Can you share your registry tweak? I've run into this issue as well. Thanks.

Sorry, I checked and I was thinking of some other setting we define. This one, apparently, has to be done manually. It may be a good feature request to have this as part of the admin console, in the section where the retention of junk mail and deleted items is set.
  •  
jonelli

I found the setting in the mail account properties under the "maintenance" tab. You can change the 180 value there. I assume this will solve the Outlook problem if I set it to 366 days and then set Outlook to archive older than 12 months? What about other folders like Sent? I recently found a user's mailbox to have 6GB of data just in the Sent folder. after looking at it closely, there was 3-4 years of mail in there. I manually moved mail more than 1 year old to the archive, but how do you fix that?
Previous Topic: Outlook 2007 - Open a Shared Calendar
Next Topic: Shared Email Folder Missing Emails
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Mar 27 22:29:53 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01046 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.