Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Webmail errors since upgrade to 8.4.2
  •  
ruta

Send a private message to this user
We upgraded Kerio Connect last Wednesday to 8.4.2. The following day, we starting getting calls from users about a new error they were getting in webmail. The receive an error about 5 minutes after logging in: "Server is not responding. Please check your Internet connection." The message will continue to pop up every 5 minutes or so.

I checked our Session expiration timeout for the Kerio Connect Client and it was set to 1 hour. I changed it to 2 hours.
I re-indexed the mailboxes for the users who had called in reporting the issue.

The users that have reported the issue are spread out throughout the country - they are not all at the same location.

I logged on from my home office to my webmail and let is sit a long time and I never received the error. I then logged on from my home office to the mailbox of several of the users, and sure enough, after about 5 minutes, the error pops up.

Although the error states that that the server is not responding, mail functionality and response appears normal.

I created a brand new test mailbox and logged in as that test user. Once again, I received the same error after about 5 minutes. I immediately logged out and logged in to my mailbox, but I never receive the error.

The error is very disconcerting to our users and we continue to receive calls.
Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Were you able to find the cause and resolve it?
Is it a bug that displays an erroneous message in Kerio Connect?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

It is hard to answer if I do not know what was the version before.
Kerio Connect 8.4 uses push technology for instant delivery of new messages to Kerio Connect client. This technically means keeping opened TCP connection to the server for a long time (usually 5 minutes) with no activity (aka long poll).
Described problems could be caused by firewall, antivirus or reverse proxy (either on client or server) which intercepts HTTP or HTTPS connections and interrupts these connections.

Knowledge Base: http://kb.kerio.com/.
Technical support: http://www.kerio.com/support
------------------
Stay Connected Anytime, Anywhere. Discover Kerio Cloud!
  •  
ruta

Hello, thanks for the quick response. Previous version was 8.3.4 patch 1.
We don't use proxy servers anywhere.
Since I did a controlled test from one location:
1. logged on to my mailbox and never received the error
2. logged on to another user's mailbox and received the error

Same firewall, same antivirus, same PC, same internet connection for both tests with different results.

Strange, right?

Any configuration options for this new push technology?
  •  
ruta

I had a hunch and did some more testing this morning:
1. Created a test mailbox and logged in to the Kerio Connect client (webmail).
2. I let it sit idle and within 10 minutes I received the "Server is not responding" message.
3. I then started sending email messages in intervals of about 3 - 5 minutes to this test mailbox.
4. For the period of 25 minutes during which I was sending messages to this test mailbox, I never once received the error message.
5. I stopped sending test messages and let the client sit idle. 6 minutes later I received the error message.

Therefore, I do not believe this is an Internet, firewall, or security issue. It appears that simple inactivity will result in this message. The content of the message is erroneous and causes end users to believe something is wrong.

Can this, then, be considered a bug?
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

You can try decreasing the poll timeout. By default it is 600 seconds. You can try decreasing it (e.g., 100 seconds). You can change the value in the mailserver.cfg configuration file. The variable name is "LongPollTimeout". Remember to stop the mail server before you make changes to the file.

Brian Carmichael
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer | Kerio
  •  
ruta

Hi, thanks for suggestion!

Will reducing the poll timeout result in more frequent "Server disconnected" messages if the client/mailbox is idle?
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

Hopefully it will eliminate them altogether.

Brian Carmichael
  •  
ruta

Hello, as suggested, I modified mailserver.cfg and changed the LongPollTimeout value from 600 to 100 (stopping the mail server, of course, to make the change).
Unfortunately, nothing seems to have changed.

I logged in to an end users' Kerio Connect client and just let it sit idle. The mailbox did not receive any new messages during the time I was monitoring it. Every 5 to 7 minutes, the message would appear: "Server is not responding. Please check your Internet connection."

I wouldn't mind so much is the message said something like "Inactivity timeout" But the content of the message makes users think something is wrong and we are getting quite a number of calls at our Help Desk regarding this message.
  •  
OTW

Has this been resolved?
  •  
nebulink

I have a customer experiencing this same issue.

Any idea on how to correct?
  •  
Brian Carmichael (Kerio)

We've had reports that this is caused by Antivirus software on the client computer. Try to test it from a computer which has no AV software installed to see if there is a difference. If there is AV software, try to test with various settings to see if there is a particular feature that is causing the issue. Also, make sure you are connecting via HTTPS. As another possibility, you can run the web interface on multiple ports. Try adding an obscure port (which is probably not scanned by AV) such as 4433 and see if the problem occurs on the obscure port.

Brian Carmichael
  •  
ruta

I believe that this is just an inactivity timeout message. The wording makes it seem like something is wrong. It would be nice if Kerio just updated the wording of the message to "Inactivity timeout".
Previous Topic: Contacts synchronisation
Next Topic: sharing calendar, tasks & notes - Outlook 2011 (mac)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Jan 21 07:20:59 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01280 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.