Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Attempt to deliver to unknown recipient (Error Report)
  •  
PKJ

Send a private message to this user
Dear All,

I am getting message "Attempt to deliver to unknown recipient " under security log. Is there any setting in Kerio Connect that will inform the sender that the recipient is not valid.

Thanks & Regards,
Prabhat
  •  
Grabsteinschubser

Kerio (like every other mailserver software) returns a bounce message with all details to the sender. You don't have to activate it. It's always activated because of RFC 3461, RFC 3463 and RFC 3464.
  •  
PKJ

But i am not getting any error email.
For example, if i am sending email from my yahoo address to my Kerio Connect email address like no user@mydomain.com; i am not getting any Failure Notice in my yahoo email and in security log in Kerio i can see "Attempt to deliver to unknown recipient" nouser<_at_>mydomain.com from IP ......

•  
Grabsteinschubser

Ok, I will try to explain how it works. Sender = S, Recipient = R

S writes email to R and clicks "send".
Mailserver S asks Mailserver R: "I have an email for R"
Mailserver R answeres: "Nope, I do not know any R"
Mailserver S says: "Ok, that's a pity :("
Mailsever S talks to S: "Hey there, at Mailserver R there is no R."

So I was not correct when I said: Kerio returns a bounce message. Correct is that Kerio will notify the senders mailserver that the user is unknown. And the senders mailserver will return a bounce message to the senders mailbox.
Have you tried another mail provider (like gmail)? Maybe yahoo has failed (or tries to resend your message for the next days)?

This is what I got when I tried to send an email to an non-existent user:
Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon<_at_>googlemail.com>
16:58 (vor 10 Minuten)

an mich 
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

recipient<_at_>mydomain.tld

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain mydomain.tld by mymx.tld. [1.2.3.4].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 Mailbox <recipient<_at_>mydomain.tld> does not exist

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2015 17:13]

•  
ComputerBudda

On a related topic, I've noticed when a user borks the domain for the user, goodusers<_at_>gmai.com, the message just sits on the outbound queue for a long time with an error message that it cannot resolve the address. I eventually just delete them.

What is suppose to happen here.
  •  
Grabsteinschubser

When you delete it the user gets a notification that the email was manually removed from the message queue. But the user will never know why it has been deleted unless you explain it to your user.

If you do not delete it then probably the user gets a "non delivery notification" after the timeout period you set on "Configuration" - "SMTP Server" - "Queue Options" - "Bounce the message to sender if not delivered in:"

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2015 17:39]

•  
ComputerBudda

thank you very much. I just cleaned up that puppy.
  •  
PKJ

Got it, thanks for explanation. It works in other mail provider.
Previous Topic: MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND attempting to open Outlook w/ KOFF
Next Topic: Yosemite, Mail update and EAS
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu May 25 10:47:18 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00964 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.