Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Folder Sharing issues in 6.x
  •  
Rcappadona

Send a private message to this user
Dear all,

I'm experiencing some problems with the folder sharing between users, it seems there's a limitation on how many folder I can see from another user and also, considering that the "rights policy" has changed (the possibilities to give rights to access to the shared folder to the users are less then the 5.x rel.)
I suspect that the upgrade 5.x to 6.x has changed something in the rights/map setted up before.
Any one experiencing the same problems?

Roberto
  •  
waltspar

Yes the permissions were changed - 6.x has less settings to choose from which has caused issues for us. Kerio is considering changing them back, but no promises.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 17:10]

•  
Rcappadona

I'm afraid about that, I would prefer to be advised before this changes, now I have 30 users that were sharing folders with a lot of problems!!!!
  •  
waltspar

I agree - there has been quite a few "little" changes that have been big issues for us.

Here is my letter to Kerio after my install.

Issues found in new Version 6 of Kerio Mail server

I spoke with tech support on Friday regarding performance issues with the new Version 6 that I just upgraded too. Tech support seemed to think it was a performance issue with my server. After discussing the specs; AMD2000, 512meg and a RAID5 array, it was recommended that I troubleshoot the array to see if I was having an issue with it. I could not find any errors and it seemed to functioning fine, but to be sure, I updated to the latest drivers
for the RAID card, verified Windows was up to date, ran a drive speed diagnostic and purchased and installed the latest version of Diskeeper server. This did nothing to help the performance. I setup another test server in-house and got a fellow IT friend involved and spent much of Friday night, and half a day Saturday testing and monitoring the network traffic to and from the server, it was determined that the culprit was our "Public
Folder's" structure size. I found a few other items, which are outlined below. In addition, the permissions issue and the apparent abandoning of the Outlook Express Extensions software was (to my knowledge so far) not documented anywhere in the manual(s) or on the website. This is significant to us as the more detailed permissions were used extensively here and Outlook Express is used by 40 of our 60 users. In addition, with this
program being marketed as an alternate to Exchange, large Public folder structures would be quite common. On the good side, I am very impressed with the new features for groupware services and the new interface within Webmail. On the bad side, I have two other companies that I am scheduled to install Kerio Mail server 6 and a decent size public folder structure is planned for each.

Public Folder Structure in Webmail:
When speaking with Tech support before we even purchased the first version of Kerio Mail server - I was told that a large Public Folder structure would not be an issue as it was very scalable. We have since developed a very large Public folder structure which will do nothing but grow even larger.
In Outlook and Outlook Express, this does not appear to be a problem, nor was it in the prior version of Kerio webmail. Version 6 was on the other hand has big issues with the folder structure - specifically if MS I.E. is used.

In the new webmail, the list of "All" public folders show up which requires a long time to login in order to establish the inital view - in the prior version, it only showed the subscribed folders. Using I.E. is pretty much impossible. After much testing in conjuction with a fellow IT person and
software developer - it was determined that I.E. was having a problem with a JavaScript file in Windows which hangs when trying to login. I ended up using Mozilla to work in webmail on any machine I had to access it. Using I.E. will most of the time lock up the machine after a huge memory spike within a few minutes. When using Mozilla remotely (offsite) I can get into any account in just under a minute, locally it takes about half
that.

Permissions in new Webmail vs old Webmail and Outlook Express Extensions:
Webmail permissions do not jive with Kerio Outlook Extension permissions which is how the existing permsions were defined - or they were defined in the old Kerio 5 version webmail - the old webmail and Outlook Express Extensions permissions matched exactly.

Starting form scratch would be a bit easier to deal with, but we have "Hundreds" of Public folders with permissions set specifically for Read/Insert/Delete etc...

A sample issue on one test folder newly created in our existing public older
structure:

Permissions set by Outlook Express using Outlook Express Extensions:
Public = Full
Walt = Full
Auth = Lookup/read
Insert = Lookup/Read/Delete
Mail_Admin = Full

In Webmail they show up as:
Public = Administrator
Walt = Administrator
Auth = Reader
Insert = Reader
Mail_Admin = Reader

In webmail, I can delete the email if in Outlook it was set to have delete permissions, but it comes right back after a refresh. If I remove the "delete" permission in Outlook, then I cannot delete it in webmail at all. But either way, it shows up as "Reader" in Webmail.

Shared Folders:
Any shared folders mapped by users were lost during the upgrade -they had to be re-subscribed in Webmail. I have to manually go into each users account through webmail and connect to any shared folders - the exisitng Outlook Express Extensions does not allow mapping to "shared" folders like it used to. I have not tried it with the new Outlook connector yet in the full version of Outlook.

Needless to say, the last few days have been very troublesome for myself and now my users today. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Previous Topic: Mailserver not logging anything
Next Topic: To 5.x or 6.x ? That is the question
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 12:36:51 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00350 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.